Searching for NH/*A Upgrade space

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by unavaca, Jan 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking about buying a NRT-SFO ticket on ANA in an upgradable fareclass and using UA miles to upgrade. 1K says they don't know if there's upgrade space until after I buy the ticket... which sucks, since there's a $100 cxl fee.

Is there a way to search for availability before putting up the bucks?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Upgrades come from the same bucket as awards in the *A system. You're looking for a C award seat (aka I bucket) if you're going to buy a Y or B fare and F award seat (O) if you are buying C or D. Also keep in mind that they should have a 24-hour cancellation policy in play; I'm pretty sure that is one of the new requirements from the feds that started this week.

Do the Y/B/C/D fares really have a cancellation fee?

tjtenor4 and JohnDeere19 like this.
  3. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if they have a 24 hour cancel policy or not. It's a one-way NH fare from NRT to SFO; I'm not even sure if they have to abide by the 24hr cancel rules or not.

That said, the fare rules say it's ~$100 USD (priced in yen). It's a B fare.

4. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    In general, B fares do have cancellation fees, while Y fares do not (iirc).

5. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, just check on the ANA tool if there's award C space on that flight before you book it. If there is, book it and then immediately call the 1K desk to lock it in.

If not, the annoying thing with *A upgrade awards is you can't waitlist them - so you'll have to check daily. And I'm sure you know this, but remember that *A upgrade awards are per segment - so if you're connecting from somewhere else in Asia to NRT before the NRT-SFO flight, the upgrade award won't cover that.

cheepneezy likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be careful with this as the ANA site will show award availability for ANA MileageClub members. I'd use co.com instead to verify that the award inventory is available to partners, not just ANA members.

7. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am pretty sure that if you do a *A search, not just an ANA search, with the ANA tool, that it'll show the proper *A availability (not just ANA club availability) on ANA flights. But I'm not positive about that, and that's a good point. Assuming the flight shows on co.com (it shows many, but not all, *A flight options), the availability shown there would certainly be correct.

cheepneezy likes this.