Searching for a Global Upgrade voucher

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by achoburg, Feb 29, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. achoburg

achoburg New Member

Status Points:
    I have a trip at the beginning of April from Okinawa, Japan to Denver and am hoping to find someone who is burdened with too many upgrade vouchers and might want to share. I don't think the vouchers will work on the Okinawa to Tokyo leg of the trip as that is on ANA, but I'll be flying United between Tokyo and Denver. I'm also open to suggestions on other good websites I should try to connect with other travelers.

Thanks!

2. achoburg

achoburg New Member

Status Points:
    Ok, no luck so far. From reading some of the other posts, it sounds as though offering to purchase the vouchers is highly frowned upon (by both the airline and the community) so I don't want to push the envelope. However, I can offer to pay the favor forward (albeit to a lesser extent) by posting some of my free drink coupons if I get an upgrade. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I'll need the coupons without the upgrade: tall guy + little seats + international flight = the need for a few drinks to make the trip remotely tolerable!

3. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Always dependent upon your fare class.

Here's an idea, Show the other members of this forum that you want to contribute and become a regular part of the membership by reading some of the other threads and posts and contributing your advice, thoughts and assistance. The reason i say that is just recently i donated a global upgrade to two different members flying from Brazil to Oslo on Lufthansa and they are pretty delighted to be out-of-coach to biz. I've got more to pass along to other members but I'm looking for contribution not just takeaway.

Might be something to think about but i know from experience that this approach works wonders as i've seen many donate extra passes/upgrades, etc.

PGUM, bmg42000, achoburg and 6 others like this.
  4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife's first trip to this country, she had $900.00 and two bags, 20 years ago, and she rode in the back of the plane.

Today she still rides back to China in J, for almost free.

It does help to prime the pump, and a little work to keep the water flowing.

Good luck archoburg, good to see a new face..

achoburg likes this.
  5. achoburg

achoburg New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the input, Randy. I agree wholeheartedly! I've never really traveled extensively until this past year so I still consider myself to be somewhat of a newbie when it comes to the nuances of maximizing the travel experience. However, my current job has me on the plane much more frequently (still nowhere near the amount as many of the members on this site!) so I'm hopeful that I'll be able to contribute more.

6. achoburg

achoburg New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, satman. I'm glad that I found this website--full of great information!

7. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    What class of fare are you currently booked in?

8. achoburg

achoburg New Member

Status Points:
    My fare class is Economy (V). The UA website gives me the option of requesting an upgrade for the leg I'm interested in (DEN-NRT) using money and miles, but it seems pretty steep ($500 and 30K miles). I haven't had a chance to call United yet, but I'm going to see if it is possible to "buy up" to a higher fare class that would allow me to purchase the upgrade cheaper--spend a little to save a little. I'm flying on a government purchased ticket and couldn't buy a higher fare class when I initially booked the flight.

9. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    See what the cost is to get to a w class. Let me know if you do it and I'll help you out

qwas and achoburg like this.
  10. achoburg

achoburg New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much, HubletUAFlyer! I called United and was told by the representative that I need to call back between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Central time to speak with someone at the "government desk" as she didn't know if she was able to make changes to my ticket. I'll try them tomorrow and let you know if I have any success.

Have a great weekend!

11. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    V Class is higher than W class so it's already GPU Eligible.

achoburg likes this.
  12. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you know if the long haul segment currently has R availability for the upgrade to be processed immediately?

13. achoburg

achoburg New Member

Status Points:
    Excuse my newbiness, OnTehWings, but I'm not sure what R availability is or how to check it. In looking at the seat map, there are seats available in Business but I'm not sure if the upgrade can be processed immediately.

I didn't get a chance to call United about paying for a fare class change but based on what you said, I already have a ticket that's eligible for an upgrade so it sounds like there is no benefit to changing--correct?

I appreciate your replies and the information!

14. qwas

qwas Member

Status Points:
    I dont remember how to set it, but my UA acc. is currently set to that mode so i can gladly check for you if you send me your flight info

15. qwas

qwas Member

Status Points:
    I believe you are correct

16. qwas

qwas Member

Status Points:
    I have a upcoming international flight with United (booked in W class) and i think its over 12 hours,so if anybody here can help out with a upgrade(GPU) i would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

17. chris_poland

chris_poland Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gotta love these newbies for trying...

18. qwas

qwas Member

Status Points:
    Hey thats a nice welcome, i guess im sorry for asking.