search tool for lowest dates for hotel rates - like Travelocity used to have

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by TheBeerHunter, Feb 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

Travelocity used to feature a really cool tool on their site where you could see a calendar of the "cheapest rates" at a hotel for a three month window of time. This was really useful to me, since I tend to plan my travel around when I can stretch my dollar the farthest and sometimes take weekend jaunts just to stay at hotels because they're cheap (helps with re-upping status too, of course!). They seem to have redesigned their site, though, and no longer have this tool. :(

Does anyone know of any other sites that offer this type of function? I want to be able to view a specific hotel (say, the Intercontinental San Francisco) and then be able to view a calendar of their average daily rates.

Thanks!

savingrace and greek2me like this.
  2. greek2me

greek2me Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great question. Along the same lines, and in addition to this I'd love to know if there is a tool that would search a chain and give you the dates and names of properties that have the lowest rates for a given date or time period?

3. kadence

kadence Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe Kayak.com? I know there is an option to show fares for a range of about 2 months, it may work for hotels too.

4. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I checked there, and no go, sadly. No calendar display.

Most of the typical travel booking sites all now display a week's worth of data, but don't give the opportunity to view a low rates calendar. This was something I found so useful on Travelocity, I'm really upset they took it away... :(

5. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So, I just realized that you can still see a subset of this data on Travelocity, albeit in a slightly different way.

Do a search per usual, and find the hotel you're interested in. Click on the hotel name to get to the details. Change the search criteria from 1-2 days (or whatever your original criteria) to 30 in the search bar, and it will now display a calendar of the next 30 days.

You can't see the next three months all at once like you used to be able to, but it's better than nothing, at least for me.

6. snap
    Original Member

snap Silver Member

Status Points:
    TheBeerHunter likes this.
  7. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That URL does not work (it's based on your local search you did) but you did link to the "old" interface, where the calendar format still exists. How did you get there, I'm wondering? When I go to the site I get the new interface where they've gotten rid of the Cheapest Rates/Flexible Dates option.

8. snap
    Original Member

snap Silver Member

Status Points:
    It looks like the new interface.

I ran a SF hotel search. Clicked on ICSF, then on next page clicked the "Flexible Dates" tab.

9. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think we're seeing different interfaces. The link you sent is to the old one. When I use the new one, I don't get the flex dates tab and have to search for multiple days as I wrote about above. And, interestingly, I am also getting different rates in the two interfaces. Now I'm off to see what Priority Club actually says ARE the rates for the days in question...this might spawn a BRG from me!

10. snap
    Original Member

snap Silver Member

Status Points:
  11. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yup, that's the old interface. It looks like they're flip-flopping between the two. I'll take screen shots of the calendars on the old so I can do some future planning for hotel stays over the next several months.

:D

snap likes this.
  12. snap
    Original Member

snap Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm, obviously I don't use TC regularly. I'm curious to see what the new site looks like.

Post on Facebook and/or Twitter and see what Travelocity has to say about the flex date calendar's future.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  13. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    anileze likes this.