Search the web and Earn Miles

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by corydg, Jun 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. corydg

corydg Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking of creating a search engine (powered by google or bing on the backend) where a person could earn miles by searching the web (i.e. search and earn one mile for each search). I could support several of the airline miles programs.

Before I go crazy building something like this I was wondering if anyone would even be interested in using it.

2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are toolbars out there that accomplish similar (thinking aadvantage and us airways off the top of my head) and people do use these. Great way to keep your mileage from expiring.

wrxmom, corydg and viguera like this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah some of them were discontinued or updated (like the US one is now called the US Store Front or whatever) and the rate was 1 mile per every 3 searches, up to 100 miles a month.

corydg and JohnDeere19 like this.
  4. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    corydg, JohnDeere19 and PLUS_1 like this.
  5. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely interested, depending on a airlines supported

corydg, JohnDeere19 and PLUS_1 like this.
  6. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any way to get miles for free is great, and there's a market out there, but you need to consider a few things before investing a lot of time in creating this.

Unless you have a great sales background and can convince Cartera Commerce to use your toolbar instead of Rakuten/Freecause for at least an AAdvantage Toolbar, I wouldn't suggest buliding one for earning AAdvantage.

Now if this prospective toolbar is your own undertaking, and not being officially sanctioned by the airlines' frequent flyer programs, you might want to directly consult the programs first before investing all that time in creating a toolbar. This could save you some possible MAJOR legal headaches.

Instead of making a toolbar, you might create a site like Swagbucks that awards points for searches, and then make the points redeemable for frequent flyer miles--- in Swagbucks' early days you could cash in Swagbucks for miles-- but those days are long gone. So that way if you buy the miles yourself, and go the creation of search engine reward route, instead of a toolbar, you wouldn't have to worry about competing with other officially sanctioned toolbars. [just be sure if you choose this idea to make AAdvantage miles an option if you create your own seach site ;)]

My ultimate suggestion for you is to do your homework, and see what airlines currently don't have a toolbar that rewards miles for searches [if that's the route you want to go], and then attempt to court these loyalty programs with your idea. Another idea: consider making a toolbar that gives hotel points, as I'm unaware of any toolbar that current toolbar that does such. Again, probably a good idea to contact the hotel loyalty programs before investing any time in development.

Good luck, and hopefully we'll be able to see your product rolled out!

deant, corydg and JohnDeere19 like this.
  7. tbemille3

tbemille3 Active Member

Status Points:
    Great idea, I would definitely use it!