Answered: Search for what's new limited?

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by estnet, Sep 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there a 5 page limit to show new posts? If so - why? No matter how long it's been between visits I never get more than 5 pages.

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That 199 post display limit also kicks in if you look at someones profile, then at their content. I think it also is a limit elsewhere.

3. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    In the case of searching for posts by user, if you go to the 10th page of the results you can load another set of 10 pages (see the link at the bottom of the results on that page). In the case of search and whats new it appears that there is no option for this currently. estnet, the 200 thread limit on whats new is the limit that the forum software constrains the section with, I'm guessing the idea there is that when there are 200 more recently active threads than a given thread that it really all that new anymore. Gargoyle, it is also a limit in searching, but in the case of searching it is probably a good indication that more specific search terms would be a good idea. :)

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Ah, it works but it's misleading. In member profile/postings/find all content, you first see pages 1 to 10 of the users posts. From page 10 you can click "find older messages" and get another 10 pages. What is misleading is the second set of pages is also numbered 1-10, and so is the third set, etc. instead of the universal standard 11-20, 21-30, etc, so it appears that it hasn't posted older content. Can that page numbering be fixed?

[​IMG]

5. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    It looks like the way that these pages are built out that doing so wouldn't be practical from a server load perspective. I wouldn't completely rule out a change in how that works, but it looks like the back end of that page would have to change considerably for that work differently.

6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - but as the board gets more active this isn't so great. FT has a 500 thread limit when searching for new threads. Is it a big deal to change the software to a higher number?