SEA overnight layover

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by Exiled in Express, Mar 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    I booked a trip without really considering the times as carefully as I should have and have a 8 hour (11PM touchdown to 7AM takeoff) in Seattle, that gives me about 6.5 potentially useful hours. Not a long enough period for me to be inclined to get a hotel. "Sleeping in airports" ranks SEA quite high but that neither seems comfortable or fun.

Any good ideas on how to spend an all night Saturday in Seattle without doing too much damage to my liver or sparking blank criminal record? [​IMG] This is going to be the last leg of a west coast adventure so I am open to most anything, though the young and stupid phase of my life is fading fast.

bakedpatato, jackal and kayet like this.
  2. beckoa
    Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I've spent a couple nights before at the end of the B terminal... most WN chairs there don't have armrests, and they really don't operate redeye flights... so if you have an eyeshade, and possibly a blanket or coat to use, that works well... The AS BR closes early at 1030 PM, but the DL SC is open until 1, if not later so you can continue the party there if you don't want to leave the airport. ... The B train shuts down so you'll have to walk from A. But it sounds like you do want to leave- which I'll leave for the locals, but a couple ideas include the newish light rail into the city, or drive over to Alkai Beach [not sure how popular this is in the winter]. For a burger- Dicks is decent, if a bit greasy, and a good place to offload dollar coins. Or take a flight to ANC and back, might make it in time for your connecting flight in the morning... [​IMG]

Exiled in Express and kayet like this.
  3. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last time I did this, my friend and I walked down South and there was a bar across the road from the airport property... I think it is Dave's diner and brewery... Or at least in the same area as that restaurant... The bar is nothing fancy or special, but has all the drinks you can ask for... It is on 188st and International Blvd...

jackal and Exiled in Express like this.
  4. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the light rail stops running shortly after midnight and takes up again at 5am or so. I think you might be best off with beckoa's suggestion, but I'd pack a portable DVD player and bring a couple of movies and a flasks, each containing less than 3 oz (or 100 ml) of your favorite mixer.

Exiled in Express likes this.
  5. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you choose to stay at SEA, they have long, padded benches in the A terminal that are "fairly" comfortable, and by fairly I mean they are soft and ok to sleep on, if you can get past the announcements and bright lights. The kids play area is also "fairly" comfortable in the main hallway close to terminal B.

Otherwise I've pricelined hotels for less than $50 AI.

GL.

6. fooko2002
    Original Member

fooko2002 Active Member

Status Points:
    When is this trip? My suggestions will vary based on time of year. :)

Exiled in Express and dgreen12 like this.
  7. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Early May, 7th-8th. Light rail to downtown is not a problem but not open for the return Sunday morning.

8. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are into live shows, check out the Stranger (http://www.thestranger.com/ ) for list of clubs and the acts playing the night you will be in town. If sleeping is not in your plans, then consider places like 13 Coins (near airport or in South Lake Union) or Beth's Cafe (near Green Lake) for a late meal or early breakfast after doing the club scene. Shuttle Express now has town car services, which may be cheaper than taxis, but more than the regular share ride experience, especially if you take Link Light Rail to downtown and use them for the return to Seatac.
    "things to do late night Seattle" on Yelp is good for ideas with reviews as well.

CTP

9. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Btw, the differences between 13 Coins and Beth's Cafe are like night and day, they were offered up as two ends of the extreme.

CTP

10. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you do end up downtown for whatever reason, your last real opportunity to make it back to the airport on public transportation involves a bus journey with one connection that leaves downtown around 3:30am (depends where you are downtown). Doesn't leave you with much time downtown, but it could give you something to do (ride downtown on LINK, wander around/go bar-hopping for a couple of hours, and ride back on the bus).

Or you can get mostly the same experience for free in the Sky Club. ;)

I got the SEA airport Hilton for $40 on PL on an overnight layover in January (3.5 or 4*; can't remember), so good deals seem to be available.

11. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Beth's: Omelets as big as your frickin' head.
    A friend who has been there on multiple occasions marvels at the grease on the walls. I marvel at the lines out on the sidewalk on saturday and sunday mornings.

12. You can get a 4* SeaTac hotel for $45-$50 on Priceline, a 3* or 2.5* for less. The 4* hotels (Doubletree, Hilton, Coast, Holiday Inn) are all within walking distance. I've done this often when I have a flight arriving at SEA after the last flight home leaves.

Wurm, Exiled in Express and jackal like this.
  13. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    He won't have time to get to Beth's and back (at least not unless Beth's is open at 4 AM). If you don't want to venture out beyond the Seatac area, there's a restaurant called 13 Coins open day and night directly across the street from the airport. You could even walk there (go to the Link light rail and walk down the stairs to street level). The original in South Lake Union is pretty good, and I imagine this one is also good. They have both food and drinks in hearty portions.

14. fooko2002
    Original Member

fooko2002 Active Member

Status Points:
    I think the easiest itinerary that I would still find somewhat exciting with little hassle or room for potential to miss your flight or additional cost would be:
    - Enjoy the SkyClub til ~1AM
    - Enjoy the classic 13 Coins for a few hours
    - Re-enter Airport to enjoy the sunrise at the Board Room at 5AM

As an alternative, if you wanted to get away from the airport area, I would have a rental car on standby as others have mentioned, public transportation to/from the airport in the early morning is quite sparse and taxis to/from downtown will run you $35+.

And who knows...post closer to the time of your trip and some fellow FT...I mean MPers...might be up to join! :)

dgreen12 and Exiled in Express like this.
  15. AKGUY
    Original Member

AKGUY Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've Pricelined many times in this situation and got a good nights sleep cheeply. Also, most hotels have shuttles that cost nothing with door to door service. Unless you are into drinking and eating all night, that would be my vote.

Exiled in Express and alphaeagle like this.
  16. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the Coast for $40 + tax/PL fee about three months ago. Although they have a shuttle, I walked to the hotel from Terminal A on a cool but clear night without any problem (I had only one 21" roller and my laptop bag)

17. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This sounds like a winning plan given the time restrictions, is it wrong I am hoping for AS36 to cancel well ahead of departure? [​IMG]

18. The Missy
    Original Member

The Missy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd choose Roasters or Daves Diner or IHOP, or even Dennys over 13 Coins.

IMGone likes this.
  19. beckoa
    Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ugh most anything is better then Dennys. Have been to Dave's a couple of times...

20. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    Resurrecting this thread because I am sitting in 13 Coins, happily whiling away the hours. Decent food, shagedelic decor, the open kitchen is an engrossing show in itself, and free Wifi! Groovy, yea baby! First time I've been here and I'm kicking myself for not having tried it before.