SEA-ORD VDB question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by harry0233, Mar 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. harry0233
    Original Member

harry0233 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a SEA-ORD flight tomorrow (UA958) and expertflyer said everything is zero. There are still seats available when I look at seat map. I assume some people haven't assigned their seats yet.

Do you think I have a good chance of getting VDB?

Thanks!

2. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check in for the flight. If it asks you if you want to VDB then yes, if not then no.

3. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If you're seeing zeros across the board...there's a very good chance that your flight is oversold. That said, sometimes they will "zero" out a flight for reasons other than overbooking. For example, if there's an equipment change. Good luck getting your VDB and let us know how you make out! :)

4. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is not an indicator. The need VDB request is put in manually by a flight planner.

The lack of getting prompted at checkin doesn't necessarily mean the flight is not over. It may mean they haven't put in the solicit request.

If you're on the flight and call UA to ask, they'll tell you whether it's over or not.

5. harry0233
    Original Member

harry0233 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did not get bump this time. There were 6 empty F seats when I came to the gate although expertflyer said there is no seat available. I got the upgrade but not my companion so I ended up gave it to him. I had the best crew ever! my upgrade chances is greatly improved after Feb 1st. happy camper!

6. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is an indicator, I have never been bumped from a UA flight that first did not solicit at check in.

7. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just as one data point...I've never seen VDB offered at check-in (although I usually do it 24 hours out) for my express flights ALB-IAD. They are frequently oversold...and I've gotten quite a few VDBs from it. If it is a manual thing...my hope would be that they start with flights where passengers would be most inconvenienced by denied boarding...possibly explaining why I never see it at check-in for this particular flight.

8. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been bumped many times from flights that did not solicit at check-in.

9. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have too.....I have never been "solicited" ahead of time when checking in.

10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    It really all boils down to getting the opportunity when you least expect it.

11. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bolding mine: Yes and if in fact the flight is oversold, you don't have to wait until getting to the gate as security lines and etc can delay you and thus you might miss out with "we have enough volunteers on the list" (or something similar) so if you want to be placed on the VDB list, do what I do and get to the airport earlier than normal and have one of the lobby agents put you on the list

chrislacey likes this.
  12. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    chrislacey likes this.
  13. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    And I've been bumped dozens of times where checkin has not prompted. In fact, I can't remember the last time checkin prompted for a VDB.

I explained how the system works -- it is not an indicator. If you still want to believe there's a correlation, by all means, you're free to do so.

14. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes Chris you are the expert at everything, you know everything. We should all bow down to you and your superior intelligence.

As you have no experience with being asked at check in, you can't speak to whether or not it is an indicator.

:rolleyes:.

rggale likes this.
  15. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding your posts. When the original poster if he had a good chance of a VDB, you said that if he wasn't asked at checkin, that he didn't have a good chance of a VDB. Channa and myself and others responded that even if he isn't asked at checkin, that it's still possible to have a good chance of VDBing. I suppose while being asked at checkin is indeed a positive indicator of needing VDBs. You're also stating that not being asked is an indicator of not needing VDBs. I agree on the positive indicator, and disagree on the negative indicator.

kwai likes this.
  16. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    That, and specifically, colpuck said if there's no checkin solicitation, then there's not a good chance of VDB, which I find to be incorrect.

Remember also that checking in online is available perhaps well before a flight planner has had a chance to put in the solicitation. Also, going back to re-check/reprint will not prompt for the VDB even if the need has been set. It's only on the first checkin.