SDC

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Apr 10, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I want to change a flight from the following, departing on 15 july yvr sfo at 1600, SDC to 15 july yvrsfo at 1300, the flight is booked in W class which there is no fare for as it is part of an itinerary going to Europe which I am using a GPU for, except that the first segment is not eligible as it is the day before the transatlantic flight, I assume I can change it on 14 july after 1600, is this correct and I may have to call UA to do it since there is no W fare

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are correct on the timing; your SDC window opens at 1600 on the 14th.

I'm not sure what you mean by "there is no W fare." Do you mean there is currently no W inventory? If that's the case at the time of the flight you cannot SDC at all, whether you call or not. Also, if the new flight time creates a connection longer than 24 hours in SFO you might not be able to do it as that would break the fare rules, though enforcement on that aspect is very much a YMMV situation.

sfo1 likes this.
  3. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The earlier flight I may wish to take would not extend over the 24 hour period. I was mistaken, there is W fare available at this time.
    Thanks for the above information.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Key word here is that there's W inventory at this time but there might not be any W inventory prior to the flight so I would keep an eye on it.

Another alternative would be a schedule change initiated by the airline which might give you the option to rebook to an earlier connector flight free of charge.

sfo1 likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Although I believe we're talking about the same thing, a bit of pedantry because the words mean different things: What you need is inventory, not a fare. It is likely that there is always a W fare available, even if there is no W inventory on a particular flight. Also, inventory changes much more often than fares do.

sfo1 likes this.
  6. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, fare/inventory we are talking about the same thing, inventory, you are using the correct language where I am not. It's a YVR SFO flight and there are 3 prior to the one I am originally scheduled on , so hopefully I will be able to change, no big deal if I can't am just overnighting in SFO on my way to SEL. I do know about schedule change and I do check weekly, so if there is a schedule change, that will probably be my out.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  7. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Different kind of SDC question.

Would I be able to SDC a SFO-LAX-FRA(LH)-TLV itinerary to SFO-FRA (UA)-TLV?

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe.

If it keeps the same LH segment and you are switching to UA metal from LH metal from the TATL then it is theoretically possible, but the partner segment in there runs a very real risk of botching things up as SDC on partner flights is not permitted.

And if it is not on UA stock then you're also likely to be denied.

9. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Seth, I figured you would know. It is on UA stock, so if there's availability in my fare bucket, I'll start calling at T-24. If not, I'll just have to try the 748 for the first time.