SDC strategy for JFK-LAX (and EXP Upgrade)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by daemon14, Dec 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still getting the hang of AA after years on DL and a brief sampling of UA ...

I have a JFK-LAX flight this Sunday afternoon that shows J2 on ExpertFlyer (actually just went down to J1 as I wrote this), so I clearly will not be getting a pleasant surprise at 100 hours out. However, I do have the exit row 20J reserved ... and while I have 8 SWUs expiring in February 2015, I'd rather save those for international flights especially since I have 14 months to use them (or at least redeye LAX-JFK flights where I know I will really want business class, especially after the A321T's come online).

I'm in no rush to leave NYC and if the weather cooperates, would actually prefer to leave on a late afternoon or evening flight from JFK.

I know I'm allowed to call in to SDC 24 hours before my desired flight, but if I'm going to cough up $75, I kind of want to put myself in a better position to upgrade to biz. The subsequent flights all show J7, and in my experience, ExpertFlyer doesn't show AA inventory above 7, so there very well could be more seats available.

A couple questions with SDC:
    1) I only need same cabin availability, right? As in, if I have a Q fare, I don't necessarily need Q inventory available ....
    2) I ticketed and requested upgrades 67 days out, so if I SDC to a new flight, would I still keep that time of upgrade request?
    3) I can't find my fare rules, but could I SDC from a JFK-LAX nonstop to, say, JFK-DFW-LAX?

Sorry about the questions, I've just never SDC'd on AA and am too used to Delta.

I'm hoping that when 24 hours comes around, there's still seats in biz to upgrade to ... my last JFK-LAX upgrade, I got at 4 hours out when it was J2. I know it's a tough route and I don't know what I was thinking when I booked the 3:45pm flight ... wish I could book Choice Plus fares through Citi Thank You Points to waive the SDC fee :p

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  2. FlyerChrisK

FlyerChrisK Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe confirmed changes require a particular inventory bucket (look at EF for Awards & Upgrades on AA under "E?"). Empirically, it seems reasonable to restrict SDCs for flights that are Y1 (for instance).

JFK-DFW frequencies can leave something to be desired, so you may want to consider whether you'll spend far more time in-transit chasing an F seat rather than tough out an exit row.

3. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although if I could time it with a visit to the Centurion Lounge, I wouldn't mind a long transit. Most of my travels take me through LAX (home), JFK (frequent NYC traveler), or ORD.