SDC on JFK-SEA 'first'

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by TravelerRob, Apr 23, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quick question to make sure I understand the DL SDC rules correctly. I stopped flying DL years ago and moved to UA but I find myself in a situation where I need to book DL because of cost and flight times.

My itinerary will end with a JFK-SEA non-stop. I really want the 4pm flight which has lie flat seats but it's $800 more than the 6pm flight which is a regular 739. I'm booked in "Z" class. According to Delta's SDC policy, I can change to the 4pm flight as long as any seat in any fare class in the premium cabin is available. Have I read and understood this rule correctly? Does that still apply to planes that are lie flat in the same market?

Also, it says you can request the change 24 hours ahead of time from your original flight but can only use SDC on the same calendar day. I'm cool with that. But this means I can call at 6pm the day before my flight and get on the lie flat flight the same day as my original ticket (provided there are seats)?

Thanks for the help.

-Rob

MX and Newscience like this.
  2. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Z used to be upgrade inventory for international. Is SEA part of an international originating flight ?

Newscience likes this.
  3. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It is part of an international ticket but I stopover in New York for 5 days. It's a SEA-South America-New York-Seattle ticket. It's possible that the JFK-SEA leg is an extension of an international flight number originating in Europe or elsewhere I suppose.

-Rob

4. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Really. No one has an answer for me?

DL apparently still sells JFK-SEA as a business flight even though most are operated by 739s. So I assume I can SDC to the lie-flat "true" business product assuming any seat is still for sale in the cabin up to 24 hours before original departure?

Thanks,
    Rob

5. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess, not guaranteed, is that you should be able to do it. Without status, I think that there will be a fee involved. If the agent says that it cannot be done since there is no Z class available on the earlier flight, remind her of the "last seat available for first" rule and tell him/her you do understand that the change in fare class will seem to prohibit a reissue but trying a manual reissue should do the trick. If there still is resistance, do not hesitate to HUCA.

Win or lose, let us know how you made out since it is not a subject to which many of us are strangers but there are still some unknowns.

TravelerRob likes this.
  6. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, will do. I'm technically silver through Million Miler status but it'll cost me $50 if I'm allowed to make the change. Seems worth it to get a lie-flat seat.

-Rob

7. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Today was the day to perform the SDC as I fly tomorrow. The lie-flat 757 flight had one seat open when I could SDC. Called Delta and had to wait 19 minutes for a call back (that's a topic for another thread --- really, DL, I have to wait to talk to someone on a fully paid J ticket to South America and back?). Agent said I could only go standby. After reciting the rules about last seat availability for first/business class and that only coach had the restriction of same fare class availability she put me on hold for 8 minutes and told me it would be $50 to change the ticket. I gave her my credit card number and she processed the transaction.

The interesting thing is that the SDC forced a new ticket to be issued (not sure if that's normal on DL) and the fare class has gone from "Z" to "J" on the new flight.

So it is possible to change to a lie flat seat from a standard FC seat (e.g. 739). The DL computers, however, didn't want to let this happen so it had to be done manually. No idea if it's related to the flight being lie flat or just because it was looking for the same fare class to be open.

Thanks,
    Rob

8. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bingo. Exactly the way that it happens when the fare class is changed in any way. We now can confirm that it has nothing to do with the nature of the seats. Congrats on getting the deluxe flight.

9. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congratulations.!