SDC married segment rule

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by TravelerRob, Nov 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I ran into this situation last week and I'm wondering what the official rule is for married segment logic when it comes to SDC.

I had an OKC-DEN-SEA flight booked as a return portion of a r/t ticket last week. It was booked for an evening flight. I wanted to fly the following day. When I look up inventory on EF I always look on a segment-by-segment basis. I found my rather low fare class available on OKC-IAH-SEA but the website would not offer me the "Search for other flights" button during OLCI. I tried many times to no avail.

My first call to United got me an agent who answered the phone as "Premier Desk". He told me I can't SDC to it because looking at the flights together only shows Y/B/M class. No other flights showed my class of service. Technically he was correct about the data he saw as I verified it with EF.

An hour later I called back in and got a different agent who saw my low fare class on both flights, grabbed the last seat in that bucket and then got stuck re-issuing the ticket. He said the system was trying to charge a $538 fee. He put me on hold for 15 minutes and came back and I was all set.

Bottom line...must one follow married segment logic when attempting to SDC both flights at the same time? Inquiring minds want to know...

Thanks,
    Rob

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it possible that your original fare didn't permit the IAH routing? Or that both new flight segments we not within 24 hours of the time of the request?

3. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    The fare allowed an IAH routing because when I booked the ticket the IAH connection was available (granted, on the Thursday) but was more expensive at the time.

The IAH-SEA segment was outside of the 24 hour window but I don't think that matters when SDC'ing? You just have to be within the 24 hour window of your first leg and then the connection can SDC along with it even if it's not within 24 hours?!

-Rob

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME being outside of 24 hours on the connecting flight will cause issues. That's likely why it tried to re-price rather than just permit the SDC. I'm not sure if that's a policy issue or an implementation issue, but that's what I've experienced.

5. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems like we see different handlig of SDC. I have seen the buckets open up in all classes a few hours before the flight ( 4 Hrs IIRC, was this in play with your second call? ) and that the 24 hour rule seems to be the norm as well. I also find that the Kiosk at the Airport gives you the greatest selection of flights with no additional charge. Glad that it all worked out for you, the ole call another agent if you dont like what you hear played off well in this case. Safe Travels

6. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Though is the kiosk giving you better options at the same time or because you are checking it at the airport much closer to departure so more options have opened up per your earlier analysis?

7. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think its both. The Kiosks give me more routing options than when using SDC with .bomb.. I always find that I get something at the airport. I guess that the buckets are open within the 4 hours contributing to my success. I also have found that that when booking low value buckets, SDC options are scarce when tring to change flights at the 24 hour mark from my experience ( no allowable buckets open thus no option for SDC for free ). Hope this helps. Safe Travels

8. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seconded. I hardly ever succeed in SDC without penalty at OLCI or even later, at least prior to showing up at the airport. I sometimes find it's worth checking in again to provoke the kiosk to offer some juicier options. Obviously, EWR-MCO via BCN would be ideal... but it never seems to appear in my fare class.