Scuttlebutt on APFA allowing AA to hire FAs for the LAX-PVG route

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by justageek, Feb 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. justageek
    Original Member

justageek Active Member

Status Points:
    Not surprisingly, the FAs are pissed off that AA is hiring new FAs when there are still furloughed FAs. Here's a story on how it went down...

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/02/did-apfa-jump-for-american-air.html

[excerpt from letter from APFA Chicago to Chicago FAs]

[...]

These Mandarin speakers will have certain restrictions places on them:
    - They will be placed on the bottom of the seniority list - behind all furloughs.
    - They will be fenced in to LAX-I. If the Shanghai route does not pan out, they will be the first to be furloughed.
    - They will also be APFA members. Would you rather have another 30 APFA members or 30 members of management on these flights? Does Moscow ring a bell? Those Russian "speakers" were not APFA F/A's - they were management positions. By agreeing to let the company hire the Mandarin speakers as F/A's, they will be APFA members - not management.

Some may say "Why are we giving the company anything, when we don't even have a contract"? I couldn't agree more, and until the BOD meeting, I strongly felt the same way. After our briefing, and after I received all of the facts, I then gained a clearer perspective on why APFA did what they did. I support their decision.

There were some back door negotiations by 2 TWA F/A's with their Congressman from Missouri. One of these F/A's is none other than the current SLT Chairperson, Tim Hunter. This was unbeknownst to APFA. In a nutshell, the Congressman then contacted Laura Glading and basically pushed her into a corner - either grant the remaining furloughs unlimited recall rights, or he would add an amendment to the FAA Authorization Bill granting the TWA F/A's their full seniority. Plain and simple, APFA was being blackmailed!

[...]

2. justageek
    Original Member

justageek Active Member

Status Points:
    BTW while the threatened Congressional intervention was clearly sleazy, it's even more disgusting that APFA wanted to deny AA the opportunity to hire Mandarin-speaking FAs for the LAX-PVG route, without obtaining "concessions." Then again, I guess nothing surprises me from airline unions anymore.

3. roundo
    Original Member

roundo Active Member

Status Points:
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    relevant question: Do any of the furloughed ee's speak Mandarin?

flyforawg likes this.