Sculpted Eers

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by CrankyScott, Sep 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Was excited to give the Eeers a try as it would be nice to have a smaller package headset to travel with. These are custom fitted earphones, here is the product website

Purchased mine in ATL from Airport Wireless Total cost was $213.99

The entire process took about 40 minutes. This was longer than normal as I had to do it twice. They staff opened the package and instructed me to "lube" the ear pieces with the provided micro water based lubricant bottle. Next you place the device over your head (looks like an enlarged headset) and insert the plugs into your ear. Staff then adjusted the head strap and verbally review the process of what I will hear and feel. The staff was excellent in this area.

The process starts with the sound of a soda can being opened and then it's 4 minutes of silence and no motion. A 4 minute video explains what is happening as well as providing care and handling for your new Eers.

Airport Wireless staff were extremely helpful and when I had a problem with the right ear fit, they quickly opened a new box and said let’s try again. Second time went much better and I had a better fit and sound was good.

Sound quality is good with music, Podcasts and TV shows, but ambient noise is still there and distracting. These are not noise canceling.

This is only day 1 and my initial thoughts are to go back to my Bose. I used on a short 1.5 hour flight from ATL to MIA. I took them off halfway through the flight due to discomfort.

The FAQ in the user manual does state "Custom buds will be the most comfortable earbuds you have ever owned, but you will need to break them in, just like a new pair or shoes. For the first week, wear your earphones for only a short period and gradually extend the time."

The Airport Wireless staff as well as the user manual (yea, I actually read it) tell you to wet the earbuds prior to use. The manual says "Simply put the lubricant (or some water droplets) on your finger to wet your ear canal prior to insertion." So you will need to carry the micro bottle of water based lubricant or I guess use spit :eek:

To me, the Bose QuietComfort 15 have better sound quality and feel better. Plus I don't have to lube them up to use.

I would be interested to hear from others who have the Eers and their impression.
    MissBurrill and Kalboz like this.
  2. Hi CrankyScott,

We are very happy that you had a good fitting experience at the APW store in Atlanta. We train the stores to ensure the best possible service and we are glad that the staff was so good with you. Customer service is very important to us, so we wanted to give you a few suggestions and comments on your new eers™.

Your eers™ are custom-molded earphones, custom fit to the shape of your ears. Because of the fit, they provide you with an acoustic seal that filters the noises from the outside: this seal attenuates the noise but it won’t block it completely. Depending on the shape of your ear the attenuation can be anywhere from 20 to 35 dB. Because of the passive nature of the sculpted eers™ approach there is no time lag and no energy consumption meaning the sculpted eers™ will provide this same level of attenuation even when the sound source is turned off.

To ensure you have a good fit, we recommend using the water-based lubricant for the first few weeks. After the initial break in period, most users don’t need to lubricate. This also makes them easier to insert and makes a snug feel and creates a better seal that will, in turn, attenuate more of the background noise.

For the sound quality, our sculpted eers™ PCS-200, which is our premium product will be closer to the excellent sound of your Bose QuietComfort and better than the PCS-100. The PCS-100 has a bass enhanced speaker, the PCS-200 will give you a flatter response that we hope will appeal more to you.

As it is stated in the user manual, there is a break-in period. After it, some wearers have recently comfortably worn their sculpted eers™ continuously for 15 hour flights to Asia. We suggest that you keep using them for a while and we honestly believe you’ll love your eers™ once you get used to them.

Thank you for taking the time to write, we appreciate it. Please, feel free to contact us at or call us at 1-888-921-eers (3377) if you have any other comments. We’d love to hear from you again.
  3. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

scuplted eers,

How does your product compare to the LiveWires?
  4. Hi USAF_Pride,

LiveWires are custom fit earphones made in the traditional way. You have to make an appointment with an audiologist or other hearing professional to take impressions of your ears. Then you usually have to wait until your custom fit earphones are made. This usually takes approximately 2-4 weeks.

sculpted eers are custom-fit earphones, ready to use in 4 minutes. The fitting process is very simple and requires just 3 simple steps. You can do it from the comfort of your own house!

Our PCS-200 features dual drivers, (a tweeter and a woofer), from Knowles Acoustics, the same balanced armature speakers used by LiveWires and other premium brands. Our specs are the following:
    • Drivers: Dual balanced armatures (Tweeter / Woofer)
    • Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20KHz
    • Sensitivity: 106 dB SPL /146 mVrms @1 kHZ
    • Typical Nominal Impedance: 90 ohms
    • Isolation: 20-35 dB (depending on accuracy of impressions)
    • Cord Length: 50 inches kink resistant
    • Connector: 3.5 mm (1/8") gold-plated stereo jack
    • Typical Weight: approx. 0.53 oz.
    • Standard Accessories (included): Carrying case and lube
    The process of making your own custom fit earphones takes just 4 minutes, it's painless and you have no discomfort. The technology is a breakthrough for the industry and we hope to be the platform for all in-ear applications in the future.

If you would like to know more about sculpted eers, don't hesitate to contact us ( or visit us at

Thanks for contacting us!