Scott's Seafood Palo Alto, CA.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by tondoleo, Oct 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.scottsseafoodpa.com/

Despite my better judgement I joined a curious cast of five other MilePointing Kiva2DOers this past Saturday night at Scott's Seafood in the lovely Town & Country Village strip mall at Palo Alto, CA. The instigator of this fine dining experience was the inimitable jbcarioca. jbc swore that the restaurant outstanding food and that he had been eating there for 30 years. He took particular delight in informing me that I had to join him and his crew but there would be not food for almost vegetarians such as myself. I decided to go anyway since the location was on the journey to Kimpton's The Cypress Hotel in Cupertino for my Saturday evening stay. Plus, despite jbc and William JLP's presence the remaining group, Internationally renowned blogger Frequent Miler, milchap, and another Canadian gentlemen from YUL whose handle I do not remember (I am so lame at times as you readers are aware).

The restaurant is a generic place. Nothing that is strikingly memorable in it's decor or style. Nor did it have that distinct fishy, lemony, garlicky aroma that informs your senses that your food came from the Sea.

When jbc walked in the hostess and other employees acted as if they had never seen him before in their lives. I was expecting him to be greeted with garlands of flowers and hosannas upon his return to his favourite Palo Alto joint.

We were seated like Knights of the Round Table and scoured the menu to determine what our repast would be. It was the typical fare for a seafood joint. Nothing out of the ordinary. The waiter asked for our drink order and was visibly annoyed that the 3 of our party of 6 only ordered a mojito and 2 beers. According to our colleagues reports they were quite good.

After being informed that they ran out of poutine the disappointed but resolute milchap ordered Fish and Chips. As did William JLP, who removed his Horsehead mask, to eat his food. Seeing him unmasked I now understand why he wears one. Frequent Miler ordered a fancy clam dish. Our YUL colleague had a monstrous steak. The size of which surprised him. jbc had a crab cake appetizer (he informed us he always orders it) and another dish I do not recall. I am certain when he responds to this post to correct everything I have written and denounce these paragraphs of calumny he will describe in intimate detail the name and quality of his entree. Since this was a seafood restaurant I ordered the Tofu and Vegetables in Teriyaki sauce over Rice.

Everyone seemed to enjoy their food. Some of us even enjoyed the company. The conversation was scintillating. It even included some miles and points discussions.

My food was decent. Nothing special. Not very good rice. Oh well.

Our beleaguered waiter who was hoping for a big score when he saw six obviously successful and wealthy men arrive at his table was further dismayed when we gave him 6 credit cards and was told by jbc to split the bill evenly. I was very impressed with jbc's financial acuity considering his dinner charges were significantly more than mine. This was his way of getting me to subsidize his meal. I normally would have objected. However, earlier in the day I received a wire transfer from his beautiful wife in Brazil to cover my expenses whilst I kept an eye on the feeble bloke who was recovering from a knee injury. I definitely came out ahead on the deal.:)

Yes, the MP credit card bloggers would be very pleased to know that the cc's represented an array of products that they hope you get via them. CSP, AMEX Plat (Canadian), Citi Thank You, AMEX Delta, etc. jbc did not use his Kardashian branded card. I was impressed that Frequent Miler did not ask any of us if we got our card through his links.

As you can tell from this now lengthy report that a reasonable time was had at least by me. I suspect there may be some backlash from the participants. With a bit of luck this thread of fantastic content will inspire others to provide detailed reports of their dining experiences around the world.

The bottom line is that it is that I would not return here unless it was for a KivaDO2 reunion with the chaps named above. There are far better seafood restaurants in the SF Bay Area and the Southern Peninsula region. However, it is unlikely that a more interesting and entertaining group of carbon based creatures were sitting grazing together than at our table.

The bill came with a service charge due to the size of our party. I believe they counted the giant William JLP twice. I did not add any more funds to the tip.

2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You had better luck than me. I tried the Dairy Queen in Palo Alto on Sunday and it was atrocious. The Kiva Do was quite enjoyable however.

tondoleo and uggboy like this.
  3. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is sad if a DQ falls into the atrocious category.

I agree with you about KD2.:)

marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  4. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you have any other recommendations for Palo Alto then, or just this observation? :)

uggboy, marcwint55 and tondoleo like this.
  5. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I returned to this strip mall the following day to eat breakfast at Mayfield Bakery & Cafe with a friend.

http://www.mayfieldbakery.com/

It was good food. We ate and talked for 1.5 hours. That must explain the higher prices and justification for the staff not try to churn us. We each had the Camino Breakfast--Scrambled Eggs, Potatoes, Toast, Thick Cut Bacon for my guest, Fruit Cup for me. $ 14 each before tax and tip. A hearty breakfast.

uggboy likes this.