Scotland Question

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Steven Schwartz, Sep 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi all-

We will be taking the Queen Mary 2 from UK back to NYC next August. Going with friends. I want to add some days and we decided we would spend some time in Scotland. I've been there for golf without my wife but never did any sightseeing.

We have a three week trip coming up soon to Australia/NZ and made the decision to limit our time in Scotland. I know there are beautiful areas up north but we simply can't take the time. I expect to limit our trip to Edinburgh and Glasgow and environs - two hotels.

My question is how to break it up - 3 nights each or 4/2? Appreciate any insights.

Many thanks!

uggboy, Kalboz and brucewil like this.
  2. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    ACMM and uggboy like this.
  3. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd do the extra day in Edinburgh -- so much to do and see there.

uggboy and ACMM like this.
  4. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't make it to Glasgow with so much in Edinburgh. I've since met Ken Hanley who is private guide and Whisky ambassador (and US hockey fan) if you are looking for bespoke experiences http://www.small-world-tours.co.uk

uggboy and ACMM like this.
  5. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Done. Thanks everyone.

FWIW, spoke to my wife last night about it. Lots of Starwood and Marriott points but I tend to hoard them for aspirational trips, like the St Regis Bahia Beach or NYC. I had a bunch of ClubCarlson points that NEVER get used. Gold status from the credit card gives me free internet and a small break on breakfast. Reviews are good so I booked two nights in Glasgow. Will book four nights in Edinburgh and run through the rest of the points. Reviews on TripAdvisor good for both. Then again, seems crazy to go through hoops to retain Platinum Starwood status and not use it, but I still think it makes sense.

Thanks again.

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I found Glasgow equally interesting as Edinburgh ( with Scotland most complete cathedral) and without the hordes of tourists and no wonder its been named one of Europe's trendiest cities to visit. The Transport Museum one of the best in the UK, has a lot of old locomotives and a amazing collection of Clyde ship models.

We absolutely enjoyed the driving trip along the coast from Turnberry in the south where you can stay at one of SPGs best International resort hotels ( now with Trump's name affixed to it ...ugh :(), the spectacular Culzean Castle and then up to the beautiful little town of Alloway where one can visit Robert Burn's house and see Brig o Doon.

On the way back to Edinburgh was stopped at Rosslyn Chapel (of the Da Vinci code fame) with some of the most intricate carving found anywhere.

7. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    We really enjoyed our time in Edinburgh in July. We had beautiful weather and we got some amazing pix.

image-468178024.jpg
    This isn't one of the amazing photos, but the view from our Starwood hotel.

8. kunkcal

kunkcal Member

Status Points:
    Stirling Castle is worth a visit, not far from either Glasgow and Edinburgh