Scorpion on a plane: Portland-area man stung on flight to Alaska

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by sobore, Jun 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.kptv.com/story/15002383/scorpion-on-a-plane-portland-area-man-stung-on-flight-to-alaska

A scorpion on an airplane stung a Portland-area man flying from Seattle to Anchorage.
    No, it's not a sequel to Samuel L. Jackson's infamous 2006 action flick, Snakes on a Plane.
    The real life drama happened to Jeff Ellis, of West Linn, on board a June 17 Alaska Airlines flight.
    "Everybody I've talk to thinks it was incredible, unbelievable. I'm here to tell you, it was definitely there," said Ellis.

Ellis was trying to sleep on a red-eye flight when he felt something inside one of his sleeves. He brushed it aside without looking, thinking a small bug might be on his arm.
    "Then I felt it crawling on me again," he said. "I picked my hand up and said, oh my God, that's a scorpion."

Ellis quickly grabbed the arachnid with a napkin and showed it to his girlfriend.
    "At first I didn't believe him," said Suzanne Foster. "But then I saw it. He held the napkin up for me to see and I saw the tail, wiggling. I pretty much jumped out of my seat."
    Foster called the flight attendant over as Ellis noticed his elbow burning.
    He said it felt like he'd been stung by a bee.
    Two doctors on board checked him out while the flight crew called for medics to meet the plane at the airport in Anchorage.

Foster kept her feet on the seat for the rest of the flight, refusing to put them on the ground.
    "Never in a million years, would I have thought a scorpion would have been on an Alaska Airlines flight headed to Alaska," said Ellis.
    The flight originated from Austin, TX, where Alaska Airlines officials believe the scorpion got on board.

2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Blame it on global warming. ;)

3. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I gave a talk on tax issues associated with retirement at GM's Desert Proving Grounds in Arizona a while back. While getting ready for the talk, I moved the podium and discovered a dead scorpion underneath it.

Needless to say, I kept my eyes on the floor a bit during that chat, violating all the rules of public speaking.

Afterwards, the host folks took me for a spin in a Cadillac on the track. Not as fast as an AS plane accelerating down the runway, but fast enough!

4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just heard this on the news...apparently he agreed to 4,000 FF miles and 2 round trip tickets...man he could've gotten a WAY better deal.

Flyer1976 likes this.