Scored an upgrade

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by AAEXPmember, Sep 18, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. AAEXPmember

AAEXPmember Active Member

Status Points:
    On an award ticket! How is this possible?

2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Use to not be a problem, have a U.S. Air to BUF, using an award, and stuck in the rear, but then short flight who care,

4 seats empty, so may move up., at checki in..

At least the drinks are free..

Return 4 PM , j was 25k, Economy 30k, go figure,,12,5 for a 6 AM Departure..,

I will buy a Puzza at the airport, and still eat better than FC Snacks..

Old day we never had a problem with upgrades, or food, even on awards.,

It is still a nice ride for free.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could be an oversold cabin. Years back I was on an award LHR-ORD in business and got bumped up to F along with a friend flying with me. The flight went out full.

4. Austin787

Austin787 Member

Status Points:
    I had a similar experience on CDG-DFW. Booked economy, used miles+copay to upgrade to business. Flight was overbooked and I got moved up to F. A rare double upgrade.

5. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably correct. Awhile ago I was flying JFK-SFO-ICN-xxx with the first two segments on UA on a C award. Op-up'd to F for both. Similar thing happened the next year though I can't remember to where I was going then (probably NRT).

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    We were once upgraded for flight TPA/DFW just because it was Xmas, flight was not full.

zphelj and flyforawg like this.
  7. AAEXPmember

AAEXPmember Active Member

Status Points:
    Well luck of the draw I suppose I remember the days of us air getting upgrades on awards but never thought it was possible with American. They would rather give the seat to a regular then a one timer! I hope it's oversold cause it would be the only opportunity that I'd be flexible to take an inconvenience, hence why I did an award!

8. Mrp Alert

Mrp Alert Silver Member

Status Points:
    In September, I was booked on a award on a RJ ATL-LGA. The flight was oversold and I was on the volunteer list. Right after gate agent number two scanned my boarding pass, ga number one paged me with a new seat in first class.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Battlefield upgrades are a beautiful thing! I'm guessing other elite members on the flight didn't want to burn stickers for an upgrade on a short flight. But, maybe you would have preferred the bump?

ClintPage likes this.