Scientists Seek Independent Testing For TSA Body Scanners

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by jbcarioca, May 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    From Aviation Week May 19 morning:

By James Ott
    [​IMG]
    A group of scientists are questioning why the U.S. Transportation Security Administration will not permit independent testing of radiation of advanced imaging technology (AIT) full-body scanners.
    Pro Publica Inc. says the five University of California San Francisco professors, and another from Arizona State University, in an April 28 letter to White House science adviser John Holdren argue that the TSA-sponsored tests at Johns Hopkins University were flawed. They say the report on tests was heavily redacted and there was no way to repeat any of the measurements.
    The professors also raised questions last November in a letter to Holdren about the radiation dosage from AIT machines at airport security checkpoints. TSA and other scientists say the dosage is so small that travelers could be scanned more than 1,000 times in a year before they would approach the radiation limit.
    Pro Publica says TSA’s Robin Kane, assistant administrator for security technology, testified in a congressional hearing that outside testing could expose sensitive information. Testing could possibly be arranged if AIT were set up in a secure manner, according to the testimony.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gene...eek Independent Testing For TSA Body Scanners

2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not see why TSA will not allow dosimeters to be used to test the a) level of radiation and b) variation between machines. Time for the TSA to stop thinking that they are at war with passengers and start being responsible to them!

ella, jmrich1432 and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't it ridiculous that they think they'll reveal their technological secrets by letting the radiation be assessed? They may have no danger but I doubt that many of us are prepared to take their word for that. Yes, I agree they're at war with us, or so it seems.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  4. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it okay to say that you don't care? I really don't and will happily walk through these machines. I can sort of understand the concern, but if I genuinely thought that the government was so unconcerned with my health that they wouldn't do even basic checks, well, then why should I trust them about anything? Perhaps driving my car will give me cancer. Or the air outside. I certainly shouldn't drink the water. If we won't believe them about this, then shouldn't we be concerned about the numerous other things that the government certifies as safe? If I were concerned about these machines, I don't see how I could ever leave my house.

jbcarioca likes this.