Schengen Tourist Visa question

Discussion in 'Europe' started by cleome, Apr 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. cleome

cleome Active Member

Status Points:
    I have a valid US Visa and according to various websites, need a Schengen Visa to visit Europe.
    I am confused with the various versions of the rule regarding which Schengen country should I apply a visa from.

For example, if I fly ORD-TXL-FCO, should I apply to the German mission or the Italian consulate in the following cases

1. I am just transiting through TXL (2 hrs airport layover)
    2. I have one night stopover in TXL (16 hours layover)

Appreciate the responses.

2. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    First off.. The country to which you want to apply to depends on the following rule:

1. The longest staying country within the Schengen States in your itinerary
    2. or if there aren't any country to which you are staying longer than another, such as 2 days in France, 2 days in Germany, and 2 days in Spain, then the country of entry into the EU is the country to which you should apply your visa from.

In your case, you have to apply in the Italian consulate if your stays are longer in Italy than in Germany.

desamo likes this.
  3. cleome

cleome Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the clarification

4. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but part of the determinant of what you need is your nationality (or, if dual national, what passport you're traveling under). The other major determinant is your purpose for travel and the duration of your visit.

I don't know if you're comfortable putting that information on this website, but it would help us provide better advice. (Or, perhaps you could contact your embassy/consulate for guidance.)

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It does not matter very much in practice. Just get a visa for the country of your final destination within one of the Schengen countries and you will be okay, including with respect to stopovers and transiting. If it is a short (<30 days) multi-country trip, then just go for convenience and get a visa for the country that is easiest for you to get...in fact, the latter is what I would do in most cases.