Schedule Changes on AA

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by skit53, Jun 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My flight recently had a schedule change and I called in to ask to be put on a flight to LGA instead of JFK in order to minimize a lengthy connection time. However the agent said that was not allowed.

Am I allowed to change to different co-terminals?

Also, am I allowed to refund the entire ticket and rebook it to my liking?

I can't seem to find on AA.com what rules govern schedule changes. However there is this blurb in the FAQs:

When schedule changes are implemented by American Airlines that are unacceptable to the customer and result in a change of 61-120 minutes, the customer is eligible to receive a voucher for the ticket value. For schedule changes of more than 120 minutes, the customer is eligible to receive a refund to original form of payment.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well it seems you've answered half of your own question. Did your schedule change exceed the amounts listed in their FAQ?

I think your co-terminal question depends on the fare you booked. Your fare rules will indicated if your destination has any eligible co-terminals. If the AAgent said no, I'm guessing the fare you book does not list JFK/LGA/EWR as co-terminals on your ticket. I'd check to be sure though.

3. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    The other possible answer is simply hang up and call again and speak to someone else. It is a rare fare that does not allow LGA/JFK. They do exist, but they are not many.

4. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did exactly that and I ended up with the exact same customer service rep. What are the odds of that!

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    3rd time's a charm? :)

6. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has happened to me before. I will then wait 15-45 minutes and call again. Or if it is not pressing, during another shift.

7. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Called back - the very nice lady eventually helped me get on the flights I wanted. However, she had to get a special waiver to do so (was put on hold for quite a while).

Tenmoc likes this.
  8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Do you have status with AA? If so, what level? I've found that I'm able to get the EXP desk to do this type of thing more frequently than when I was PLT.

9. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm currently PLT. Not sure how much that played a role though.

10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    If you were PLT, I would probably say very little, combined with the fact that it was LGA/JFK which, as mentioned earlier and IME, is usually allowed.