Schedule Changes: I like how the new UA handles them

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by yaychemistry, Aug 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the past, I always hated when schedule changes were loaded. It meant I had to find 20-30 minutes (at least) to call and confirm that, yes, I was ok with a 20 minute change in schedule... or that I didn't mind what number UA put on the flight.

Today, I noticed a schedule change, and voila! there's a button on the web page to accept the change. Even better? My flight time only changed by 45 min, but there was an even earlier flight that I wanted to be on more. A quick call in, and the agent changed it, no problems! With the old UA I would have been out of luck, unless the schedule change was more than two hours different.

Now, this is not to say that there's nothing to complain about with the new UA. But at least there is one single change that I have liked so far :)

brfong, HiIslands, 8MiHi and 8 others like this.
  2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would still like it to show my original itinerary. It would help me remember why I picked the times, etc. I did in the first place. I get annoyed when things change, but if it changes by two minutes (and that's obvious because it shows both old and new times) then I am happier. As it is now, I have to look that up.

But the new version is vastly improved.

brfong, 8MiHi, Sweet Willie and 5 others like this.
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always have to track down the e-ticket receipt to see what changed but it's a mass improvement over having to call United to approve the schedule change.

brfong, Blue Skye, NYCUA1K and 2 others like this.
  4. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    I agree. Though they were nice enough to highlight all the changes in bright red - I might not have noticed the downgrade from a 752 to a 738 and simply accepted the change had they not. Gotta stick with the 752's for a slightly better shot at UGs (or at least E+ for this lowly silver)!

brfong, NYCUA1K, chrislacey and 2 others like this.
  5. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The inability to confirm basic schedule changes online was always a common topic on travel forums prior to the merger. For example, flight number changes (and nothing else) or (very) minor changes to block time or schedule that required a call were annoying. Glad to hear that you got the change you wanted!

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely got to check to see what changes were made, or you could need a time machine to make some of your connections (http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...egments-with-plane-change.41019/#post-1513587) :D **

My understanding is that the ability to just click a button to acknowledge a schedule change is a PMCO feature that just went away for a while.

It hope that is how confirmed seat upgrades can also now be acknowledged, as I always thought this one to be completely unnecessary (it was in PMUA). In fact, it might also have been fixed to where it is no longer necessary to acknowledge seat upgrade notices, since I recently had such a notice, which I ignored for a few days and then when I went back with the intention of calling it in, I noticed that it already disappeared...

** broken link fixed

yaychemistry likes this.
  7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Someone's gotta say it: clearly the merger is a failure! :D

8. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, the nonconsistant E+ has left me in a few pickles even as a 1K. This is a problem that will be fixed with time, though for now, even if I want to standby on an earlier flight I have to check to make sure it is PMUA metal or that there is an exit row seat still available.

yaychemistry likes this.
  9. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suspect we'll still see stories in this thread of people who have a 30+ minute schedule change and they call in to UA who won't change them to an earlier flight. I think the OP got a great agent who did the right thing but I'm not sure this is a sign of things to come or how things are at UA. Unless the passenger is going to misconnect because of a 30+ minute time change then some agents will be reluctant to make the change to an earlier flight altogether.

Glad it worked out for the OP. And I agree, I hope this is a sign of how things will be on United.com with the ability to confirm schedule changes, upgrades, etc. without the need to call an agent.

-RM

Captain Oveur and yaychemistry like this.
  10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had an hour schedule change that left me a 34-minute connect at LAX -- except I'm mobility impaired. It's now a 4-hour connect, which I'm not happy about, but at least it was changed for free.

8MiHi, yaychemistry and TravelerRob like this.
  11. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    I have a feeling that ticket changes (within reason) are going to be allowed for nearly all schedule changes. The old UA used to specify that only schedule changes of 2+ hours would allow a ticket change (can't find a copy of the old CoC, but this link quotes it http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...hanges-now-2-hours-not-90-minutes-merged.html).

The new CoC (https://www.united.com/web/format/pdf/Contract_of_Carriage.pdf) doesn't specify any time window for schedule changes. Relevant portions quoted below:
    So "Change in Schedule" is defined more broadly in the new CoC, though UA is given more discretion on how to deal with a schedule change.

12. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    exactly, how friggin hard would it be to show the original times ???!!!!!!!

Oh wait, this is the 'new' UA.........

yaychemistry likes this.
  13. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    One workaround I use is AwardWallet. It sends out time change e-mails to me and shows what the old and new times are. It is silly UA doesn't do that, but at least there are other ways of figuring it out.

Sweet Willie and yaychemistry like this.
  14. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I must be in the minority. I fly every week but might have a schedule change on an existing itinerary no more than once a year.

15. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's probably because you generally don't book your tickekts more than a few weeks in advance. If you book tickets a few months in advance, it is more common to encounter schedule changes.