Schedule Change on UA to cancel return

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by ericb, Oct 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ericb

ericb Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I've read the various other threads on TOBB that UA usually requires a 90+ schedule change to cancel a flight without the cancellation fee ($150).

I called in today to cancel the return portion of my revenue ticket, which was moved up 32 minutes and was able to negotiate a credit for the return portion as a travel voucher and the change fee will be waived (woohoo!)

The one catch was that the agent instructed me to call back after I've flown the outbound. I just want to confirm that their info is correct. Not sure why I'd have to fly the outbound to cancel the return since they're different fare components. I want to make sure I'm not locking myself into any "no change/cancellation once travel commences situation" that occurs on some award tix. Seems duplicitious, but I'm taking a trust-but-verify approach with UA right now.

Eric

2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call back and see if someone else says something different.

3. ericb

ericb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that's part of the plan, thought I'd check here to avoid the risk of any additional notes being added to the PNR

4. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    It shouldn't be this way, but IME I can call back until I get the answer I want. You should be able to do the same. It would also help if you had the name and location (and last 4 of the employee ID number?) of the agent who gave you that info.

5. ericb

ericb Silver Member

Status Points:
    So resolution:

An agent in the united club confirmed that it's much easier to cancel a return if the out bound is flown(my guess is that the outbound fare is autodeducted from the value of the ticket, so they don't have to calculate out residual value/taxes manually)

I called in yesterday and got an agent that was unwilling to change or cancel, citing that 30 mins is not significant enough to waive policy. Hang up call again.

The next phone agent said they couldn't issue a "travel voucher", but when I inquired further on other options, he said they could issue a "travel credit" and waive the change/cancel fee.

So, semantics matter - voucher -no - credit- yes?

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    A voucher can be used for anyone. If it is just leaving the residual value on the ticket but waiving the chance fee then it can only be used by the original named passenger.