Schedule change - how much needed for free change

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by rangersfan, Aug 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I would like to make a change to an itinerary where AA changed my outbound flight. I need to go back and look at my original email, but I think the new flight leaves about 30 minutes later. Is that enough to call to get a free change made to the trip?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I believe you're looking for this: LINK.

rangersfan and Sagy like this.
  3. Thanks--wasn't aware of that rule. It was very helpful to read, but not sure it addressed my question about making a change without a fee. I saw this "C. If schedule change or flight delay of 60 minutes or less NOT eligible for a refund." So does that mean since it's less than 60 minutes, I can't do anything without a change fee?

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Realistically, I think it would be a stretch to expect an airline to allow you to change a nonrefundable ticket for free due to a departure being pushed back by thirty minutes unless you can argue that this causes you to arrive too late for the intended purpose of the trip or too late to take public transport from the airport. If the change were in the other direction--leaving thirty minutes earlier--you might have able to argue that due to rusk hour traffic, this would force you to leave for the airport more than an hour earlier which would be unfeasible for you to do. Especially if you're an elite, it probably doesn't hurt to call and plead your case, but I don't think AA should give you a free change in these circumstances.

bez7 likes this.
  5. SST
    Original Member

SST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had mixed results in this arena, as a lifetime Platinum. Seemed to have better results as ExPlat, when any substantial change could trigger a reroute.

For the last two years as Platinum, I found that having a legitimate reason for objecting to the new flight times was the key--- and it didn't matter really whether the change was 30 min. or two hours. Empathy with your plight seems to cause them to be pretty flexible. If you get a "no", thank them and try again with another agent later.