Schedule Change & FC Ticket - We've Substituted a Q-400.

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by dgreen12, Feb 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    AS needs to get an F class section on the Q-400 aircraft.

Saw the red letters of death (schedule change!) when logging in to My Trips today --- didn't have easy access to what was originally purchased when I called.

The agent on the phone? "Flight number change" (no mention of the change of aircraft on leg 1) and you're now in Row 20 on what had been an all-FC ticket to Hawaii.

Called back when I was able to pull up email and get the original routing details. The 7 am flight out of GEG to SEA is now a Q-400, and the 737 service got moved to the 6 am flight (not a peep out of the original agent on this).

Second agent was able to change us to the earlier flight (no point in flying QX when paying for F).

On the return, discovered that the schedule change had an ancillary benefit after replicating the booking online --- there's a new 8 pm return to GEG from SEA that is a 737 --- and the schedule change permits a legal, but tight, connection in SEA that will get us home 3 hours earlier.

Less than helpful agents --- very mechanical and not thinking of keeping a booked FC ticket in First.

At least a FC section on a Q-400 would allow for the class of service bonuses to apply to purchased F.

2. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    how long is the flight between GEG & SEA? On any flight thats apx 1 hr I really couldnt care if Im in Y, what matters more is better timed flights and not being in Y on the Long Hauls

3. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA has put a first class cabin and economy plus section on their Q400's. I haven't seen any indication that Alaska plans to do the same. In my opinion, the extra legroom of the economy plus section is the far more important benefit, at least for Q400 flights up to about 400-500 miles (and I'd avoid them if possible on much longer flights.)

4. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The flight time is negligible --- it's the insult to have to pay the same price for a Q400 (and lose the class of service bonus which counts as EQMs).

The other half, for whom is is a vacation (as opposed to a vacation and a mileage earning opportunity for me) doesn't like the Q-400 at all. He was willing to head to the airport an hour earlier to keep the 737 FC seating, which shocked me.

Scottrick likes this.
  5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    The other issue is that sometimes you just don't want to deal with luggage adjustments for the Q400 -some things are just not going in ala cart no matter what and 75% of the time, everything fits in my one rollerbag, including my laptop.

dgreen12 likes this.
  6. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you were a shareholder, you'd rather see fuller loads and higher yields.

7. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a shareholder. (Not too many shares :oops: ) - I'd rather have satisfied customers who might actually (1) pay a bit more to keep the yield higher, and (2) stay flying AS instead of the competition. Some routes, there really is no competition, unfortunately.

Seacarl likes this.
  8. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    That depends on whether you have a short-term or long-term orientation. In the extreme short-term, you might want a higher load on a given flight.

in the longer term, you might want a higher yield or ongoing preference for your flights over the competition.