'schedule’ change and Envoy Suite

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by serion, Jun 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. serion

serion Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked my first international trip on US Airways for Feb 2013 to FCO. I picked this destination based on the Envoy Suite product being available on that route at the time of booking. As luck would have it, they’ve changed the equipment to a 762.

I was wondering if someone with more experience with US Airways could give me some hope that they might change this route back to an A330? If they don’t say by late Dec or Jan, what are my options (this was a reward ticket and I have no status with the airline). On their website I have the option of accepting the ‘schedule’ change or not. What happens if I don’t – do I get a refund on the miles without a penalty? What I’d really like to do if they don’t switch to an A330 is re-book for a destination that does. (without paying the change fee since we have three tickets)

Thanks in advance for your help!

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. serion

serion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone?

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    USAir doesn't fly a 762. It should go back to the A330 but never a guarantee. They shouldn't charge you to change the tix but likely won't give you your miles back.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. serion

serion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your reply! Not to be argumentative, but US Air does fly 762's. They are supposed to be getting rid of them in the near future. However, probably not soon enough for my trip. :( I guess I'll just hang tight until Dec/Jan to see if anything changes. *crosses fingers*

jbcarioca and John777 like this.
  5. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) They do fly a 762ER
    2) I was under the impression that FCO was one of the A330 route all year around.
    3) What airport are you flying to FCO from? If it is from CLT, try changing to a PHL-FCO flight (I think that is always a 330.

serion and jbcarioca like this.
  6. serion

serion Silver Member

Status Points:
    2) Yes, I thought that as well from tracking the flights.
    3) I'm flying out of PHL already. If they fly out of CLT in the winter, that might be another option.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed it switches back.

Does anyone know when they are going to get rid of the 762 and get more A330s?
    And one other question, are their Envoy Suites a good product?

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I cannot comment on the Envoy suite because I have never been on a US A330. I have many flights on their 762, the A/C used for their CLT-GIG flight. That is a very mediocre business product. The Envoy product must be much better. I'd not burn miles to fly on their 762.

serion likes this.
  8. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    serion likes this.
  9. serion

serion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the trip report -- I enjoied reading it!

Sean Colahan likes this.
  10. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you...much appreciated.

11. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Envoy Suite is a fantastic product! I have a trip report here: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/verygoodpoints/2012/05/03/usairway-envoy-sweet/
    Totally worth making sure you're on a plane w/the suite!

serion and Sean Colahan like this.
  12. jedijood

jedijood Member

Status Points:
    I had this same situation happen to me and actually was on the same itinerary. My trip was booked in April and was an open jaw PHL to FCO and then CDG to PHL to be taking during off peak award in Feb. I was going to take the train from Rome to Paris and do stops in between. The PHL to FCO leg was switched to a 767 in June. I posted something on flyertalk to get any advice and some of the people there said they probably changed it because the load factor during off peak times to FCO probably played into the decision. They also said most likely it wont switch back. I personally wanted the new Envoy seats and I redeemed my hard earned miles for this reason. I did not want to sit and wait to see if they would switch the aircraft. Plus, I saw that envoy redemption in the cities that did have an A330 was limited when I started researching. Since this was our anniversary trip I did not want to risk not being in the new Envoy on the longest leg of the trip. I called US Airways and they said that they could not change the itinerary, but I could cancel and rebook and they would redeposit and refund the fees for free. I decided to research first and then call back. It looks like the sure fire route that will always have the A330 is the PHL to CDG. When I called back I had a hard time with customer service rep who told me that I could not refund as the schedule did not actually change but the just the aircraft. She basically said that the 767 envoy seats and the A330 are the same. (Was she serious?) So, I demanded her to check with her superior as this was not the case and refund my itinerary because of the aircraft change. When she came back on she said I was right and would redeposit and refund the fees immediately since I denied the schedule change. I wanted to make sure I would get my $50 booking fee back and she assured me it would be refunded even though it says on the site non refundable. It was like pulling teeth with her, but I did get the miles back immediately so I booked my new itinerary of PHL to CDG roundtrip online without her help right after I got off the phone with her. One problem is that I did not get all my fees returned to me after a week later. I got the govt fees back but the $50 booking fee still did not get refunded. I had to email US Airways to refund me the $50 booking fee which the agent said I would get back because of the aircraft change. US Airways was quick to respond and gave me the $50 back to my card within a few days.

Overall, I think I made a good decision. I got the envoy product I want and it did not cost me anything except a few extra $$s in govt fees from switching from FCO to CDG on my outbound leg. If I waited I wouldnt have gotten redemption for the new envoy going to CDG, because as of today, for my dates, it is all redeemed and booked up. So waiting has its risks. Now I get a lie flat on the longest leg of the trip. If the aircraft changes for CDG, I think I would not change again. Too much hassle to do so.

As for my original open jaw trip plans, I will still visit Rome and the cities in between. www.seat61.com is a great place to plan a train trip to Rome from Paris. Also, intra-europe plane tickets are less than $100 one way through Iberia for my dates. I opted to just take the sleeper train. I think the views and experience will be worth it.

serion and Sean Colahan like this.
  13. serion

serion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the info! I booked 3 tickets from two different cities in the US connecting through PHL. So the thought of trying to rebook these (even if I can) doesn't sound like fun. But then again, neither does flying on their old biz class product. Ugh. Can't they just hurry up and get new planes? :)

Sean Colahan likes this.
  14. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    They will have new plAAnes once they take delivery of those B777-300 next year;-)

daninstl likes this.
  15. serion

serion Silver Member

Status Points:
    When you say plAAnes, we are talking US Airways here. :) Are you saying US Airways is getting 777's next year?

16. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    If Parker gets his way US and AA will merge, thus the 777's into the fleet.

17. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow I just saw this post and found out they also swapped my late Jan 2013 PHL-FCO flight to the 767. I hope they switch it back to the suites at some point. I've never been on the 767's with US Air. I assume they have some sort of pop-up or portable movie screens? I can't see changing my arrangements as we are connecting to a cruise ship once we get there.

18. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder what they are ding w all the A330's during the winter? Caribbean routes?

19. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe check out of CLT-FCO..I think they operate that route in the winter.

daninstl likes this.