Scaryteam Award booking to Europe on KE miles, deathly afraid of AF

Discussion in 'SkyTeam' started by bakedpatato, May 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Plans change, and I'm no longer going to NRT or ICN in August, to my relief(was not looking forward to seeing the land of K-pop even though I am Korean :rolleyes:) .
    So I have a dragon's hoard of KE miles, a Ritz Carlton $900 voucher from the 100k Venture promo and 3 people wanting to go somewhere for a month in August(obviously in front meaning J ;)). I'm thinking Sweden/Denmark/Germany.

So:
    1. How do I check award availability to these locations?
    2. DL, AF or KL?(or someone else? )
    3. Does AF serve warm baguettes in F? :D:p(see below)
    Some parameters: I would love to try out DL's lie flat product. KL sounds great too as I want a deft blue house. AF...err... ever since one err "fine" LAX-CDG in J were I was served a frozen baguette and cussed at in French when I complained about said baguette(thankfully I got a nice pile of KE miles for that, especially because I had video evidence of both,I ended up paying my way to AMS and taking KL home) I don't have too much desire to fly on AF, but I may be convinced to route LAX-JFK-CDG if JFK-CDG is on the A380 :D

2. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    After breaking my piggybanks, I paid for a KVS sub, and I'm using the trial EF sub.
    Found some very interesting things: AF/KL flights ex LAX in J using miles apparently don't exist ever...indeed, when I tried airfrance.fr LAX-CDG, I was told to route on AZ via FCO(no 767 please) . In fact, it seems like only NYC-CDG shows J availability for the entirety of NA in August.
    Otherwise, once I get across the Atlatic, it should be easy to get to ARN, TXL, CPH, etc and it will be easy for me to get back to LAX...just the pesky TATL to Europe that's getting in the way:rolleyes:
    Any tips?

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try AF IAD-CDG for reportedly better availability. Also check other cities served by AF, perhaps ORD, BOS, DTW.

4. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    DTW is showing good for 2 seats but DTW and JFK are the same 20k KE miles in Y-(we can't call it E- and E+ like UA? right? or we can call it EC+ and EC -? hah) so I want to avoid a stop in the US beyond SEA(KE was charging us $400 a head in YQ and other taxes on our flights so I'm willing to pay $400 to r/t somewhere else on that note,but 5 hours of flying in the back and then more flying in an angled lie flat makes me not want to go,its a vacation after all).
    Hm...and on that note I wonder if AF/KL are "*net blocking" blocking award availability as it makes no sense that LAX and SFO to CDG and AMS are never available in J...

5. jetsetter
    Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Status Points:
    AF will give you a better experience so I would side with them. KLM and DL are not a match in my opinion. The only problem I see in AF is CDG! The airport is something you want to avoid. Schiphol is a much much much better airport. As far as the baguette, it is soft and warm ;)

bakedpatato likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it's not necessary that you travel on AF, you should consider the aircraft types and BE/Affaires/WBC seating configurations. AF has some aircraft that are 2-3-2 (IMO disgraceful for business class) and the nonreconfigured DL 767s should be avoided if possible.

jetsetboy, rwoman and bakedpatato like this.
  7. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do have a soft spot for AMS but neither YYZ nor MIA(which I assumed would be available due to the route being new) have any sort of award availability .:(
    The question is if I like soft and warm baguettes better than ice cream sundaes then ;)
    From what I know about DL's fleet(please correct me): All the 757s are recliner a la transcon BE, some of the 767s are lie flat(not including the one that goes to DUS :() , all the A330s are WBC ,all of the 772LRs are lie flat but none of them go to Europe.

8. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the 777 is occasionally seen to/from FRA. Look for routes with DL's 764 (I know there are others than LHR)...I prefer this lay flat seat over the angled AF Affaires/DL A330 seat. I'm sure other posters can identify the other 764 routes!! :)

MSPeconomist likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is my understanding of aircraft. However, the PMNW A330s are very nice aircraft and seem new and fresh. They have good AVOD systems with nice large screens in BE.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    the delta.dumb website identified which flights are operated with flat beds. Most London nonstops have it, plus a few other routes as planes are being renovated.

11. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    dl.dumb useful??? That happens?? ;)

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I last looked at London flights, the ones without flat beds were clearly identified with a warning box.

13. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ironically, I just brought dl.com up and the advertisement was for lay flat beds...lol.

Link - lists JNB, LHR, DXB, HKG, DXB, and NRT as having lay flats...of course, we know they exist on other routes. :)

14. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok, wil keep a sharp eye out for it.