Scared to Use a Mobile Boarding Pass? Don't Be.

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Mar 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.jaunted.com/story/2012/3...cared+to+Use+a+Mobile+Boarding+Pass?+Don't+Be.

We need to have a talk about mobile boarding passes. Are you using them? Most major airlines are these days, including (but not limited to) Delta, United, American, Alaska, SAS, British Airways, Lufthansa, Cathay Pacific and Qantas.

If you're just a little bit uncomfortable with getting through and airport and onto a plane using only your phone, read on. If you're totally cool with mobile boarding passes, awesome. Though we're seeing increasing use of mobile boarding passes—just look around next time you're waiting in a security line to have your ID checked, and note how many others have their phones ready to scan—there is still much hesitation and "I'll just wait 'til the airport."

So, we'll walk you through the five steps of checking in, this time on a real Delta flight. Their app is ace.

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2012/3...cared+to+Use+a+Mobile+Boarding+Pass?+Don't+Be.

jmrich1432, CharlesG and uggboy like this.
  2. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to admit, I've been tempted, but then always print my boarding pass out before I leave the house. Maybe if I had a new cell phone, I'd feel more confident.

3. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    i used to be like that b/c i was worried i would have to submit "proof" of flight if the miles didn't post properly. then i discovered, that even if i did print out the boarding pass, i could still get it sent to my phone or access it via email. i probably wouldn't have done it without my iphone though. i guess it depends on the phone you have and what it is capable of doing.

4. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love mobile boarding passes! I was bad about misplacing paper BPs (usually in the bottom of my purse), but my phone is always within reach making it very easy to access my BP. The first few times I tried it I did print out a "back-up" paper BP just in case!

CharlesG and sobore like this.
  5. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an iPhone and the Delta app is awesome. But the BP feature needs work since it tends to want to reload just as I'm approaching the gate. I take a screenshot of it so I can pull it up from Photos (have to remember to put the lock rotation feature on too).

However, my Skymiles Medallion card is my go-to option at most stations (major stations with GIDS seems to work). Scan the barcode at the gate and you get a paper receipt that shows your seat and that you boarded the aircraft. I keep that handy in case mileage doesn't post. It's practically a mobile BP and I get a wallet-sized paper receipt to boot! However, you still need something to get through security, so still need the iPhone for that.

Also, now that I'm GM, I try to print out a BP at home anyway since they have Have One On Us coupons and I don't have to dip into my stash of certs they mailed with my GM card. Flights less than a couple of hours -> free drink! Transcons -> free snack box! But I tend to misplace paper larger than receipts a lot ...

6. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use the mobile bp all the time. Only issue was in SFO when the line I was in did not have a reader. They shifted me to another line.

7. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use mobile BP whenever possible. However, twice with AA the reader system was down and I had to go print a paper BP and come back to the agent, which is a hassle.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The few times I tried to board with my DL DM card, the GA yelled at me. Maybe it's time to try the trick again.

9. nova

nova Silver Member

Status Points:
    As much as I love my phone and use it for everything possible, I don't use it for this. I just KNOW that my battery would kick the bucket just when I need my boarding pass. For some things you just can't beat the reliability of paper...

10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flying internationally with only a screen image on your mobile phone is also NOT the best solution- when arriving at airports (like PEK) where they want to STAMP your boarding pass, it is far better to have a piece of paper.

11. deltagoldLass

deltagoldLass Silver Member

Status Points:
    I
    i used my I phone 4 to board JFK to ist
    It was a delightful breeze
    Sadly I could not use it once abroad
    Any pointers ?

12. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm old-fashioned, not only do I not use mobile boarding pass, I never do OCLI check-in.

A lot of my trips are to/from Canada, and I don't want to have to make another trip to the podium for another Passport check (which you have to do in your originating city, even if you're connecting to a flight in to Canada).

Plus, I still collect all my BP stubs.

And right about now, it's essential since the United site hasn't shown all my flight credit lately.

13. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    At the same time, if you can present an e-BP at security, you won't have security agents draw all over your BP stub :p