Scammer abusing Conversation feature

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by lin821, Dec 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got this less than an hour ago from a brand new MPer who's never posted anything. I believe she's fishing for easy target on MP. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised at all if she's from a particular country in Africa. ;)

I know we can set up our own "Preferences" & "Privacy" but that doesn't stop a scammer to sign up with MP then contact me as a member. From today's incident, I start to wondering if MP should give legit MPers more options so we can stay away from scammers like this. What's Admin's thinking on this?

What and how does MP protect members from such scammer and/or spammers who would take advantage of our "Conversation"?

ps. I can forward her handle to the proper admin. Thank you!

jbcarioca, milchap, catgirl and 2 others like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could set your messaging preferences to accept conversations only from people who you follow. I haven't done that because so far it's not been an issue. I think this is a community that will prove very useless to these scammers.

jbcarioca and miles and smiles like this.
  3. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got one, too. For now I will just ignore. But if it becomes a bigger problem, then something will need to be done. I agree with havemiles, they won't get much response here.

jbcarioca and catgirl like this.
  4. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem is I don't "follow" people.

That's why I asked what extra layer of protection MP considers, or will start to consider, to provide members like me so I don't have to encounter scammers/spammers like the one I had today

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right, I don't follow people either (and don't necessarily want to restrict real members from reaching out to me). All I was pointing out is that there is that level of protection if one feels the need for it. So far I have not received a spam/scam conversation.

Maybe the platform could be enhanced to allow members to choose to accept only messages from certain status levels (e.g., one could exclude "New Members").

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I think the recent group of these spammers have been eliminated fairly quickly and we'll continue to monitor as noticed or reported. For some time spammers have moved to hiring people all over the world to work the Captcha hurdles and on FlyerTalk it was a real challenge to constantly monitor those that did the same and sent PMs. We have a few additional ideas to put in place and are just waiting the release period of the latest version of our software. It is in release the last few weeks but we like to wait just to see if there are any early updates and it's good because there does not seem to be any needs. We're likely to put this in place before the end of the year so that during the lull of the holidays we can tweak what we need. But the answer is that we are on it and have been.

7. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Randy!

jbcarioca and catgirl like this.
  8. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This one was caught and nuked quickly.

Randy, is the best method in these cases for the recipient to notify admin asap, or if it's during off hours should they see if any guides are online and notify the guide? (since guides have some spam-nuke capabilities).

jbcarioca, catgirl and lin821 like this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Or sign the spammer up for some interesting mailing lists? ;)

10. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    With any luck their isp (yahoo in this particular case) kills their account quickly, and then the "mailing list" stuff will just add load to the isp's servers.

I prefer a digital solution to spammers- chop off their typing digits.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They'll switch to Siri (or Dragon Voice). Might also help with the spelling.

But yeah, I was only joking around.

jbcarioca, lin821 and Gargoyle like this.
  12. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really? I still see her as "New Member."

I was expecting to see some clues under their handles/user names when this sort of scammers/spammers got nuked. Over TOBB, we get to see "Suspended.' I haven't started looking here on MP for "suspended members" yet, so I am not sure what kind of special identifier MP gives out to unwelcomed scammers & spammers.

jbcarioca, SC Flier and Gargoyle like this.
  13. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I bet if she offered miles or points for responding to her message, you all would sing a different tune!:D

14. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could be a KLM'er trying to social check in early.......

HaveMilesWillTravel and Gargoyle like this.
  15. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would you please explain as a MP Guide, what you meant by "nuked", Gargoyle? Is that the same as "suspended?"

I just had the pleasure to have another "deleted user" to like one of my lounge posts. That reminded me the "deleted users" seem to be the equivalent status of "suspended" on TOBB. Since this person in question is still not "deleted" yet, I am not sure which of the following applies:

1. MP admin doesn't think a "single kid-free female" scam is sufficient enough an evidence to delete a user's account.
    2. This questionable user has not made any public posting so no visible damage to MP per se. (I am not sure if her posts were deleted by admin since I only got a "Conversation" from her and never see her make a post when I search.)
    3. MP doesn't delete scammers.

So my bonus question: what warrant a "deleted user" status on MP? (I hope this inquiry is general enough to be discussed openly.)

adl73x and Gargoyle like this.
  16. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm not sure what happens on the back end. Guides do see a "spam cleaner" link in the profiles of very new members (we don't seem to have that for established members). That gives us a pop up where we can delete their posts or ban them, but I'm not sure how well it works. Also, since I just noticed that it is only there for very new users, it seems we have really limited spam cleaning capabilities.

I've been able to delete all the posts from someone who had just joined and spammed 15 forums here, but it appears I can't touch you or any other golds, silvers, or actives. :D

As to "deleted user", I think that's something else- I've run into that a number of times. Maybe Tim or Mikel could explain it.

adl73x and lin821 like this.
  17. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course you can't touch me, at least not until you meet me in person. :p

I seem to earn a stalker (or 2) from "deleted users" today. Since they are "deleted", I can't tell if the likes are from the same "stalker" or not. Why any "deleted user" can go on "Liking" posts on MP? OK. We are getting bonuses questions in this thread day by day. ;)

Bonus Question #2: Why any "deleted user" can go on "Liking" posts?

adl73x likes this.
  18. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got the same e mail.......

lin821 likes this.
  19. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    This is likely a user that requested being deleted if you see "deleted user" as generally users aren't deleted if they are spam accounts, but are banned instead.

We have some ideas on how we want to make it harder for new users to spam, hopefully you will be enjoying the results before too long. Thanks.

lin821 and miles and smiles like this.
  20. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just thought I'd add this one from this morning from "kindheart" not a conversation, but a comment on my profile page:

kindheart
    Hello my new friend; How are you?
    I wish you best sucses of life, It is my wish
    to say to you hello, please write me on my
    mail so that we can no each other and i will sent to you my
    pictures,My name is royal baby girl ,Please write me,

( royalfreedom2012@hotmail.com )

I wish you the best of good luck and sucese of life
    kisss and hugh mis royal​

lin821 and jbcarioca like this.
  21. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    mtlfire: Yea, we nabber kindheart yesterday and banned her and have been able to clean up most of the spammer damage. Thanks. That is now gone from your profile.

lin821 and jbcarioca like this.
  22. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Randy.

23. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got it too, but didn't delete it so that I could 'report' it. Guess I'll delete it now.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

24. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had something similar posted to my profile over the weekend..