Saying hi from MSY

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by MSYgirl, May 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

I'm guessing when people join, you're all wondering about where we fly, where we live, what program we use, etc., so I'll throw mine out there.

Home base is MSY and most of my trips are to LHR and LGW, although I get a reasonable amount of stateside airtime. I've been sticking with AA and reached gold last year; I'm on track to hit platinum this year if I squeeze in one of these "mileage runs" I keep hearing about. I've been pretty happy with AA so far, although the BA return flights have the most horrendous food. :( I always remember to eat first before that flight. The biggest pain of travel is my very limited home airport; flying anywhere is almost a guarantee of a layover, although they do help add some extra EQMs.

I'm reading through the forum and learning the lingo, so I figured I'd register and say hello. I fly enough to be considered a regular flyer, and it's about time I learned how to maximize my travel by mingling with seasoned pros. If you have any favorite routes out or through MSY, feel free to share. I'm always looking for somewhere new to go.

free101girl, YULtide and NYBanker like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi MSYgirl! Welcome to Milepoint! :)
    [​IMG]

3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome MSYgirl! :)

Assuming you make PLT, at least you'll then be enjoying lounge access to and fro!

4. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome. Lounge access would be nice for shorter stops. Typically if the layover is long enough, I buy a pass and hang out for the day until my next flight (usually in DFW but sometimes I get routed through the Northeast and Southeast airports). The quiet rooms and internet access allow me to keep up with work while on the go. :)

I've read some of the other threads and clicked some outside links to learn about travel deals, explorer awards, and RTW trips. My head is spinning! :eek: This previously-considered savvy frequent flyer definitely feels like a newbie now.

NYBanker and YULtide like this.
  5. thepointstraveler

thepointstraveler Silver Member

Status Points:

Welcome aboard! I'm actually going to be making my first trip to MSY next month!

6. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the welcome!

Have you been here before or ever had a traditional 'king cake'? If you want one, they stopped selling them at the airports. But -- pick up a phone book and find a local grocery store (such as Rouses) and they will make it to order with 24 to 48 hours notice. It doesn't have to be Mardi Gras to enjoy the spoils!

If you need any other help for your trip or just general questions, let me know. I think the biggest surprise to people coming here is that the airport is two cities away from New Orleans -- not actually in New Orleans. I'm sure the cab drivers love that. $$$

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are buying passes, have you considered the Amex platinum card? (It gets you AA lounge access.)

8. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, I have, but I refuse to own credit cards. I know, I know -- the points! :(

For financial stability I only use cash and debit cards (nightmare of debt after splitting from the ex that I didn't know he ran up, so went cash all the way after paying those off). I never have to worry about bills coming in the mail, and the reduction in stress over the years has been invaluable. My only regular bills are internet, cell, and incidentals...nothing else. Everything else is paid for.

I appreciate your suggestion though! I know I'm missing out on mileage opportunities, but it works for my situation. In reality my layovers are normally short, but on the off chance I'm stuck in DFW for 4+ hours I'll buy the pass so I can work while I wait. It just doesn't happen often enough to make a credit card or membership worthwhile. Achieving PLT this year will at least eliminate that for next year (I hope) so I can utilize the lounges more frequently on shorter hops.

9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully you have a points-earning debit card at least! :)

10. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ha ha, I do! I also earn miles every time I dine out, so I'm maximizing mileage the best way I know how so far. Every little bit adds up, right?

Edit: I don't book my own travel, so hotel rewards and other loyalty programs aren't beneficial to me. Looking at some other people's benefits from staying loyal to one hotel chain, it kind of sucks to miss out on that. I'll put some pressure on my travel peeps to give me more control. They are just too tight with the budget!

NYBanker likes this.
  11. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    You travel abroad with just a debit card in your wallet then? (and, presumably, cash?)

12. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, a debit card and cash in multiple currency forms depending on where I'm going. It's usually USD, BPS, or Euros.