Say goodbye to a 24 hour cancellation window

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by AAEXPmember, Aug 20, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. AAEXPmember

AAEXPmember Active Member

Status Points:
    No more of that if the flight is within 7 days of travel :(

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The AA rules allow for a 24 hour hold outside of 7 days and, last I checked, a 24 hour refund window inside of 7 days. Are you sure the latter has disappeared?

8MiHi and skyvan like this.
  3. AAEXPmember

AAEXPmember Active Member

Status Points:
    For Us airways it is, I called in to cancel a non-refundable fare that I booked for Friday (today) I was probably 6 hours shy of the 24 hours and they declined it. They did however as a one time courtesy waive the change fee and put it into a fund that can be used on a future ticket. She explained that if the flight that is booked is within 7 days of departure the 24 hour cancellation window does not apply.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The policy is here:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/traveltools/specialneeds/ticketingpolicies/default.html

You're allowed to cancel your refundable or non-refundable ticket for a full refund (and no change fees and/or difference in fare) within 24 hours of booking.

Rules:

• You must call 800-428-4322 (800-245-2966 TTY) within 24 hours of purchase to cancel the reservation and request a refund.
    • The reservation must have been booked at least 7 days before scheduled departure.
    • This policy does not apply to AAdvantage award tickets.
    • Refunds are only issued for tickets booked on usairways.com or with US Airways Reservations.

And if you use archive.org, you can see that the same 7 day policy existed, say, on March 28, 2014.

swazzie likes this.
  5. MattNYC

MattNYC New Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, I tried booking on usairways.com and it pushed me to aa.com and I only noticed the difference from the old US airways policy AFTER I booked. I called and they confirmed that the aa policy doesn't allow for a 24 hour cancellation. You can only do the hold.

6. Able Danger

Able Danger Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just ran into this issue with American (which is really US Airways or is it really America West?) but there was no talk of 7 days rather my booking was made on the 27th ultimo for January outbound and July return. I only wanted to change the time of the return flight and at first they were saying the upcharge would be more than the difference in my booked flight and the desired flight. I said if that were the case, I would cancel and rebook but they told me that I could not cancel without penalty. She even double-checked with her manager. It turned out that she was wrong about the upcharge and it was merely the difference in flight pricing so the change was made satisfactorily, but I do not like the idea that the 24 hour window has disappeared. Of course, she and her manage might have been wrong.

7. swazzie

swazzie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, my mom ran into that when booking flights for a trip last month (accidentally booked the trip for a month earlier and bought instead of held, which she didn't see an option for). She caught it right away but AA wouldn't budge on changing the schedule without her paying the change fee--she spoke with 3 different agents. Needless to say, we're not impressed with AA on that front.