Say Good-bye to Points & Fixed Miles Earning

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by ChrisUNC, Nov 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    The bean counters have been busy... Just received the email below - no more Points & Fixed Miles earning as of January 6, 2014. Since most of stays are one-nighters, this was my preferred earning style. Earning 500 miles on a $200 folio was great while it lasted.

AN UPDATE FROM HILTON HHONORS

Dear Christopher,

Over the years, we have evolved and enhanced the Hilton HHonors™ program to provide benefits that deliver value and complement the way you travel. We have reviewed our members’ earning preferences and have decided to simplify our Earning Style Options.

On January 6, 2014, we will discontinue the Points & Fixed Miles Earning Style. At this time, you will automatically start to earn variable miles, or 10 HHonors Base Points plus one airline mile (or kilometer) per eligible US dollar spent for most stays.* This will appear as Points & Miles™ in your HHonors account profile. To learn more about this update and our Points & Points Earning Style, please visit us here.

We know the ability to Double Dip® is important to you and are pleased to be able to continue to offer this unique benefit. Hilton HHonors is the only hotel loyalty program that lets you earn Points & Miles from your choice of more than 50 airlines around the world. This update allows us to remain focused on the most widely-used rewards our members value.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to hosting you on your next getaway at any one of our 4,000 hotels and resorts worldwide.

Sincerely,

Mark Weinstein
    Vice President - Hilton HHonors

adrianors and tondoleo like this.
  2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Received the same ... further deterioration of this so-called loyalty program!
    Evolve & enhance? Yea, sure!!! :eek:

adrianors, ChrisUNC, Max M and 2 others like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the flipside -- and going along with the "spirit" of the current promo -- Hilton seems to be starting to cater more towards people with longer stays. The current 4x promo is terrible for people with 1-2 day stays, as an example, but on longer stays it's easier to accumulate more points.

By the same token, earning 500 miles for a $100 stay somewhere seems like a good deal, but that particular earning preference was madness for someone that had a week-long stay at a property.

Not to mention that, depending on where you stay, you might have to pay dearly for those 500 miles. :)

5. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet but Hilton just announced some program changes to their HHonors loyalty program today. Starting in January 6, 2014, you will no longer be able to earn HHonors points and fixed miles. Instead, everyone will be automatically transferred to Points and Variable Miles. This is not good for those of us that get away for the weekend or have stays of less than 5 nights nights.

http://pursuedadventures.com/hilton-devalues-hhonors-again/

adrianors likes this.
  6. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do not like this enhancement.

7. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always got double HHonors points rather than the air miles, so this isn't that big of a change for me.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flip back and forth between the two ways of getting points, sometimes on a stay by stay basis, sometimes on the basis of how many bonus points I get for doing it this way or that.

500 airplane points are only worth $5 (or so) -- so even if they go to zero, it's not a really big loss.

Bob H

NYCUA1K likes this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good riddance. This earning style was not a viable source of miles. In fact, I never even understood why it was in the books.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    :confused:

It was tremendous when crediting to certain partners for one night stays, particularly at the cheaper properties. One could regularly rack up thousands of points in various airline programs at a very, very, very favorable rate versus the one point per dollar option or points + points.
    As opposed to 500 HHonors points (assuming a $100 base rate stay)? I'd much rather the 500 airline points (or more, for some programs) than the 500 HHonors points.

11. frequentflyer

frequentflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 500 miles is legacy, like airline minimum miles. It's a way of saying thank you for your loyalty rather than the new model of thank you for your $$$. The rewards model today is a model for enrichment. It used to be a brilliant marketing strategy to engender loyal return business.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed.

If memory serves right, BMI's fixed mile offer was 1000 miles. Per night. For up to three nights. Not a valuable source of miles?

BMI's gone, of course, but Virgin Atlantic continues for now with 1000 miles per stay. Which can be converted into 2000 HHonors points.

tommy777 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If that "loyal return business" is not profitable then encouraging the behavior seems like something you probably don't want to do, right? If you're paying out too much in rewards to the customer then you'll actually be disappointed that they keep coming back, not happy. My guess is that in many instances this award approach was simply too costly to HHonors so they've killed it.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps for others, so I should have qualified my statement with, quite literally, YMMV. With an average spend of more than $1000/stay, even the variable miles earning style would have been more profitable for me. Importantly, however, to opt to earn bonus miles as my double-dip option, in view of how easily I can rake in miles by flying, would make little sense. For me the 'points+points' earning style has been a key factor in allowing me to stay 'ahead of the curve' following the 'devaluation' of HHonors points....

Bottom line: though my statement makes a lot of sense from where I am standing, a 'YMMV' is warranted because of my circumstances, which are usually quite, well, unusual.;)

viguera likes this.
  15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, our travel patterns are quite different. I rarely stay in one place long enough to rack up that high a hotel tab.

16. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Neither do I, but if I do, it sure won't be at a HHonors property. ;)

Hertz & Hilton gives me a free Virgin Atlantic Upper Class ticket to Europe every 3-4 years. That's worth something compared to a huge HHonors balance that seems pretty much useless to me.

So in my world, this sucks

17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Different and usually unusual in that I have near unlimited flexibility to select the location, mode of transportation and duration of my business trips. I usually opt to 'go far and stay long' in order to maximize my yearly intake of loyalty points/miles.

18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just raked in a record number of HH points this year, which I just depleted this past weekend on redeeming for reward stays at Waldorf-Astoria Shanghai on the Bund (7 nights), Conrad BKK (4 nights) and Conrad HKG (3 nights). Conrad Bali, where I wanted to redeem on New Year's eve, is booked solid, with the only way to get a room being through "Diamond Force", which I am considering. But for two weeks, I will be staying for free at the best HH properties in each city that I intend to visit. Clearly, a HHonors balance needs not be "useless" ;)

viguera likes this.
  19. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since you could switch between different airline programs, it was also a good way to keep a semi-dormant account on life support -- credit a one- or two-night Hilton stay to the program once every year or two.

20. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm in the same boat as the Wandering Aramean. Unlike some big ballers on here that can travel as long as they want on the company's dime, I can only afford weekend trips here and there, on my own dime. This will be a big loss for me, for sure. Oh well, it was great while it lasted. I guess all good things must come to an end sooner or later.

B1BomberVB likes this.
  21. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This has not changed.

Counsellor and LETTERBOY like this.
  22. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm on a similar boat, and as I said it depends on where you stay and for how long, and where your airline loyalty lies. My last two stays at Hilton were work-related as the venue was hosting the events I needed to attend, so it would have been inconvenient to stay somewhere else.

One stay was a bit over $600 and the other $1,300, so it would have been a terrible cost to pay for a fixed 500 miles with any of the airlines that I'm interested in.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  23. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am now seeing Hilton pricing to include advanced HHonors Points awards. As I spent over 5M HHonors points on a Paris stay, I can use a few extras now. Thankfully, I also have the Hilton Surpass Optima, so if I need a boost, I just charge big things on that card.

24. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How much does it cost Hilton for the 500/1000 FF miles that they purchase from the airlines? Surely not the $0.02-0.03 that we have to pay should we have to buy additional miles to top up an account, as Hilton buys large blocks of miles to cover their giving us the small amounts for our stays. This was one small perk that differentiated HHonors from the other frequent-guest plans and now they've taken it away from the people who most benefited from that perk, namely the business people who have to travel often for the one or two night stays that are limited by their employer as to costs incurred.

Not a good way to reward loyalty that in many cases has been shown by HHonors members for decades. But of course, it will help Hilton's bottom line in the short run. However this, and the devaluation earlier this year, will eventually bite them where it hurts, as shown by comments on here and other FF websites.

Another enhancement to help Blackstone's IPO? And will there really be enough defections to cause Hilton to finally get the message? Only time will tell, but somehow I think all the moans and groans won't make any difference in the long run. Will Hilton take notice and reverse any of their "enhancements"? If anyone thinks so, I know of an old bridge in Brooklyn........!

I'm staying with Hilton as it suits our (my wife and my) travel needs, since we're now retired and pay with our own dime for our trips and find the Hilton properties and availability convenient for us, but what about the millions of business travelers that were affected by the earlier devaluation and now this.

25. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    How many points did it cost you?

I don't find burning in the cities you mention very favorable as other programs offer confirmed suites with paid rates that are usually very reasonable.

I stay at the PH in Shanghai and it usually costs me around 200 dollars a night with a confirmed suite for 6K points or a Diamond upgrade, in Bangkok, I stay at the St. Regis starting at 169 USD a night and have always received a suite and never applied a confirmed suite upgrade there. In Hong Kong, the GH is a winner at around 200 a night, suites are awesome or for over the top luxury, the RC is great, but pricey at 500 USD a night.

adrianors likes this.