Saving Expiring Miles

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by perico01, Nov 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. perico01

perico01 New Member

I have miles with Lufthansa that will expire on December 31, 2013. I do not want to lose them. What can I do to save them? I understand that getting a Miles and More Credit Card can help but only if I have had it for at least 3 months before the expiration date of the miles. The problem is that my miles expire in less than 3 months. Can miles be transferred from one * alliance airline to another? I also have United.
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

They cannot be transferred from airline to airline. Looking at Lufthansa's program details, there's no way to save them - it's use them or lose them. Hopefully someone here more "in the know" has an option, but I doubt it.

One thought... use them to book an award flight more than a year out, then cancel the flight. The miles should redeposit, but there might be a fee... and they might set to expire again at the end of the next quarter. Again, I'll hold out for the experts on that one.
  3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Don't do this. They won't redeposit.

Options are to use them now, or earn status before the expiry date (no expiry for elite status members).
    Mike Reed likes this.