Saver Inventory Disparity For Non-Elites

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Pizzaman, Jul 6, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Not sure if it's typical, but I was just trying to help a friend get overseas to FRA. I was surprised at how many flights I could see with coach saver inventory (probably a dozen or so on a few days I checked) where he was only seeing 3 options.

Just curious if anyone has relevant experience? Is this normal?

2. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is normal for elites to have better saver inventory....at least according to UA.
    (Unless your case is the other way round...where the Elite saw less options than the non-elite).

3. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't surprise me. I get FARES non-elites can't see.

4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    The presence of extra inventory doesn't surprise me. The amount of it compared to non-elite does.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is a stated UA elite benefit...
    • Better availability for United Saver Awards in economy [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    • Better availability for United Saver Awards in select premium cabins [PPlat and 1K only]
    ...which we now know is a real and significant benefit...:)

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It happens reasonably often (XN versus X inventory). And if the friend is willing to pay $95 extra to use their own miles for the award the XN inventory is also available to Chase MP Explorer Cardholders IIRC.

The frequency of expanded premium cabin award space (IN v I) for top tier elites is lower, but it has shown up on rare occasions.
    Clearly the company hates its elite members. :p

Pizzaman, Weatherboy and bmg42000 like this.
  7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yeah, he's trying to book for September so I don't think the credit card would show up in enough time for him to still have a great shot to lock up the flights he wants.

Frankly, I was just surprised at how big the gap was between elites and non-elites for inventory. I'd hate to try and redeem miles if I had no UA status. :(

8MiHi likes this.
  8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    So, I thought the Explorer card for access to extra inventory as well, but it only says no blackout on standard awards. Anyone have information otherwise?

9. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have only seen what you have seen regarding standard awards and no blackout dates. This implies more inventory for standard awards, but says nothing about Saver awards.
    I can follow the logic if there were to be some extra saver award availability for cardholders, but I don't know of any.
    The Premier benefit is here:
    https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/travelawardbenefits.aspx

10. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see this and use it often. Amazingly, it's still true. It's a genuinely useful benefit for Elites like me, I often end up booking tix from my account because Saver is open but for the non-elite travelers, it is not. And in short-notice, high-need situations, this can be a lifesaver.

8MiHi likes this.