Saver F Award with Economy segments

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by misman, Apr 23, 2018.

1. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    We're booked with a Saver F award to Hawaii with J/F (whatever) over the water. Will we be automatically waitlisted if F opens on the other segments? If not, how can I watch for them to open up?

I've gone into Expert mode and can see I available by segment... but when I marry them all together, there is no I available.

iolaire likes this.
  2. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why do they make this so hard. One of my segments opened up with I availability. Called in to have it changed, and they want more miles. Will be a HUCA all day, probably!

bmg42000 likes this.
  3. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    An agent can add you to the waitlist for the uncleared segments. One piece of advice: Any time you talk to an agent about it, don't refer to putting you in J as an "upgrade". You paid for First Class with your miles... calling it an upgrade is probably why the agent wanted to charge you more.

Sent from my SM-G960U using InsideFlyer mobile app

misman likes this.
  4. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, it is all academic. The space went away before I could get a competent agent (and I never used the term upgrade with them, knowing that "trap".)

5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always say something along the lines of, "I have a first class award with a segment in economy and see on your website that business/first is now available, please will you change that segment to business."

Its worked for me, but I'm not surprised that you could have a bad day where it didn't work... Sorry.

misman likes this.
  6. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was finally able to get an agent to waitlist us in F (I) for ABQ-SFO and SFO-LAX. Based on the seatmaps, I doubt the latter will clear, but am hopeful for the former.

iolaire and bmg42000 like this.