Saudi Arabian Airlines refuses to sell tickets to Israeli citizens from US airportd

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Gabed1, Jul 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gabed1

Gabed1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    LETTERBOY, Mapsmith and marcwint55 like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    sobore, Gabed1, Mike Reed and 2 others like this.
  3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    This kind of conduct is despicable and disgusting, and I hope SV loses, but why the hell would an Israeli want to fly on SV? :):eek:

marcwint55, mht_flyer, sobore and 4 others like this.
  4. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't see how SV can win in this case. Cut and dried discrimination.

5. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a very pluralistic country, so there should be no surprise that someone might try an uncharted travel route. Israeli arabs might also have family connections in S.A.

6. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you read the article, it's pretty clear that no Israeli passport holder has actually tried to fly on Saudi Arabian. Rather, someone from the office of a mayoral candidate called Saudi Arabian as part of a sting operation -- an operation almost certainly predicated on the current mayoral race.

7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought for sure it would have been candidate Weiner trying to take away attention from things he texted.:D

8. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:

So far he's climbing in the polls; Don't need stunts :)

Mapsmith, Sweet Willie and LETTERBOY like this.
  9. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely. Furthermore, the Saudi Arabian government (along with several other Arab/Muslim governments) won't even let Israeli citizens into the country, or those with Israeli passport stamps/visas. None of which, of course, makes the conduct of SV any more excusable.

10. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is simply amazing how short American's memories are or is it a sign that the choices voters have are so pathetic that it leads one to consider a candidate like Weiner?
    I think it makes sense as the airline is owned and operated by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia which does not let Israeli citizens into the country, so therefore why would such an airline offer a drop down choice for an Israeli passport holder?

If I only accept cash or paypal on my website, I wouldn't have a drop down choice for payment by credit card as it isn't a choice I accept.

Seems like wasted time/money as I'm just guessing a guilty verdict isn't going to change the policies of Saudi Arabia & therefore it's own airline.

marcwint55 and LETTERBOY like this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    No airline will provide passage to a passenger who cannot legally entry or transit en route. A quick search on TIMATIC for JFK-RUH-BOM (vaguely using the example in the story) includes this:
    This is a government issue with the Saudi government, not a policy issue with the airline. A similarly ignorant stink was made when SV joined SkyTeam. And, just like then, nothing came of it. This time round it is a guy pandering to certain demographics in an effort to pick up votes in the Mayoral race. Hardly news, really.

desamo, Kalboz and LETTERBOY like this.
  12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    But the Saudis are our friends and allies, aren't they? <grin>

marcwint55, meFIRST, MX and 2 others like this.
  13. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:

And so was Pinochet, and every two-bit dictator from two-byte republic , that had not been in a committed repaltionship with USSR :) On a practical matter, I would not fly in an international haul airline that did not serve booze either :)

zpaul, marcwint55, meFIRST and 2 others like this.
  14. Gabed1

Gabed1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Of course it is a government issue. The question is, should they be required to comply with US federal law if they are operating out of US airports? Any other international company conducting business on US soil would be required to do so.

15. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    You mean selling tickets to Israeli passport holders (as required by one law), then refusing them boarding b/c their passports do not comply with the destination country's requirements (per aviation regulations)? ;)
    That would be rather inconvenient for the affected pax (to put it mildly).
    Ultimately, the Saudi gov't will need to adjust their attitude to resolve these conflicting laws.

marcwint55, LETTERBOY and anileze like this.
  16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Saudi government is not operating out of US airports.
    I disagree. No airline should sell a ticket which cannot be flown by the passenger.

desamo likes this.
  17. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Each country sets it's own foreign policy - Of which visa issuance and entry requirements are considered an integral part. I know, that I cannot enter Lebanon (or if I wanted, Syria & Iran) and thus no opportunity to visit the ancient historical sites and see the architecture; with Israeli stamp on my passport. I guess we make those choices and conscious decisions.

18. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hate to play devils advocate here, but....if there any Saudi nationals, would EL AL sell a ticket to a Saudi national flying JFK-TLV-BKK for example? ( or any flight requiring a connection at TLV)

If not then....:rolleyes:

desamo, MX and Sweet Willie like this.
  19. Gabed1

Gabed1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough. It's one thing to be denied entry into a country, but If an Isreali citizen is denied transit, than they should not be allowed to purchase a ticket. At that point, the responsibility falls on the US to deny access of that countries air carrier.

If Saudi Arabian airlines operates an office in NY and posts a sign on the door saying that they do not hire black people or women, should they be allowed to operate in the US?

marcwint55, LETTERBOY and MX like this.
  20. Gabed1

Gabed1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely, citizens of Arab countries can fly on EL Al and transit in TLV. 30% of Israeli citizens are are Arabs.

marcwint55, LETTERBOY and MX like this.
  21. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe the answer is affirmative. But if those individuals wanted to enter Israel, then going through immigration for them would be very slow and unpleasant.
    I'd love to hear a confirmation (or otherwise) from someone with experience on this subject.

22. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    never say never, you'll simply have to wait until you get a new passport.
    Anyone is allowed to fly EL AL but I can imagine most Arabs not flying EL AL not only due to it being the airline of Israel but also due to the security grilling. We flew Cairo-TLV & I about lost it with the incessant questioning, thankfully Mrs Sweet Willie stepped in and completed the "interview" before being allowed to approach the ticket desk.
    I'm with you until the At that point statement. Israeli passport holders can not enter the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, at that point the case is closed until/if the Kingdom ever changes it's policies. I'm really not a fan of the US having to always be the police and this is such a minor issue/blip compared to all else that the US has to deal with.

This sting is nothing more than a candidate trying to garner more of the Jewish vote in NYC. I believe most Jews are too smart to fall for such an attempt.

anileze, meFIRST and MX like this.
  23. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Really? I dispute that. Unlike some people, on flights to Israel, I get the extra screening ( Line 4?) I can't imagine being from Saudi Arabia and boarding an El Al flight. That pax probably won't even be allowed on board.

Someone from Saudi should give this a try.

Kalboz likes this.
  24. Gabed1

Gabed1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't say that you would not get extra screening. El Al in particular is extremely thorough with their security and screening procedures, to the point where I prefer other airlines. That being said, there is good reason why they have those measures.

I have a Palestinian friend who has flown El Al without any real problem.

Any Saudis with this experience, please chime in.

marcwint55, MX and LETTERBOY like this.
  25. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope everyone here has never flown those enemies of freedom Lufthansa and British Airways, both of which have connecting flights from the US to Saudi Arabia and both of which will, presumably, deny boarding to anyone unable to enter or transit Saudi Arabia.