Saturday (Not so) fun with AS

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by RedTape, Mar 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    OOpsie. I have not been on hold for that long with the Gold Desk ever.

I got a text today that my flight today SJC-SEA had been cancelled. Called Gold Desk to get on later flight, and was told departure control system went down (crashed). Nothing was departing on time. I was offered an earlier flight in F but would have to pay the difference...(not sure why, is this considered an Act of God?)

Booked for tomorrow morning at 06:40 (ugh) and will have to pay for another hotel night. No compensation offered by Gold desk..was told they weren't authorized, but check with desk at SJC. Suggestions?

2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Say what? Isn't that a same-day change? You'd get the upgrade anyways if you were Gold. This makes no sense. Big fat FAIL if you ask me, and yes, I'd want some compensation- if nothing else, they should switch you to another carrier (I hear there's one or two out of SFO that has planes that fly to SEA, and you should be able to hop up on Caltrain).

This is really unacceptable. Go back and have them make it right.

mht_flyer and Exiled in Express like this.
  3. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    What a PITA. I was on hold to the Gold Line forever and then when I got there they had no information on our flights. :(

My son is in MCO, due to fly back tonight, but the plane from Seatle to Orlando is still on the ground here in Seattle.

We have other employees who are supposed to fly down to Vegas tomorrow morning and back tomorrow night, and Hunki and I are scheduled to fly to Vegas tomorrow night as well. :(

To make matters worse, there is no flight information available on line.

When I asked the gold agent how to get information, he said that I could either call or check the news on KOMO 4. :D

4. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like now we can't even set up alerts any more. :( Fortunately, I had one set up on my phone for our son's flight tonight before the system went out.

5. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I was able to get reaccommodated on the Gold Line as I indicated. I took care of my own hotel, even though they were doing vouchers at the airport. Since I was covered, I figured I'd just send a note to customer care and ask for a travel credit in the amount of the hotel ($100), and I'd be happy.

On the drive up from Monterey, I had a Homer Simpson "D'oh!" moment. My sister was going to connect to QX to HLN. Why didn't I just ask them to reroute her on Delta? So at SJC, where DL is next to AS, she went over and asked, they gave her the flight information. I got back on with the gold desk and got her on her way. She's happy as she's arriving earlier than originally planned. I'm glad she's not staying tonight, well, because she snores. :)

I opted not wait to pursue anything as the staff at the counter was just SWAMPED. I figure a note to customer care would be just as easy. I did, however, want to smack the woman who was yelling at the ticket agent. She didn't seem to get that everyone was inconvenienced. I felt bad for the agents. They were even buying up all the empty seats SJC-SEA on Southwest.

6. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    They are back to answering the Gold LIne within a reasonably short period of time, flight trackers can again be set, our son will get out of Orlando tonight, 3+ hours late, and it looks like flight for tomorrow will be back on schedule. Whew!

One tiny little computer bug and it messes up people all over the country, an Mexico. ;)

Glad that, for the most part, it is over.

7. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a friend of a friend who was up visiting and he was suppose to fly out tonight and had to get rebooked on Monday.

8. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yikers. Sorry to hear that.

Let's hope the update goes well tonight.

9. beckoa
    Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Status Points:
    A friend of my father's is trying to get to RDM Monday morning... and for travel leaving Sunday- it was basically all booked up on AS- even the Monday flights were full when I first was looking this afternoon. Since then AS opened up, but they ended up routing on DL, which is ok, as its nearly the same cost, and ANC-SLC is in F. [no not a cheap ticket by any means]

10. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Travel Advisory: All computer systems have been restored. If you were impacted by the computer outage on March 26, 2011, please visit our Travel Advisory page for more information and rebooking options. Customers are still advised to check their flight status before leaving for the airport.

11. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is good news. I was a little concerned about the major overnight back-up of the system.

We have two employees who are flying down to Vegas for a job this morning and back this afternoon. They just don't have room for a delayed flight. Hunki and I fly down tonight, but we don't have any work to do until tomorrow, so it is not so crucial for us.

12. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully the airplanes eventually made it where they need to be, and there are enough "fresh" crew available for the flights.

13. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    The problem is exacerbated by the fact this this is spring break and most of the flight were already chock-a-block full. This makes reaccommodation really tough.

I know the ticket I had bought for our son to work in MCO was the most expensive AS coach ticket I had ever purchased. The good news is that I was able to change it without charge. ;)

14. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was blasted by tweets from AS about the issue even though I did not have a flight that day (mine was the next day) and even got notice both from the tweets and FB about the apology. wow, very nice on their part IMHO.

15. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    One person's "nice" is another's "why are you sending me crap when I'm not even flying :p

16. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you subscribe to a Twitter feed and fan a Facebook page, you pretty much give up the right to say that. :p

17. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    So here is what you would have received if you had been flying:

We're Sorry for Disrupting Your Travel
    [​IMG]
    Dear valued customer,
    We want to offer our profound apologies to you and the thousands of other customers who were affected by the disrupted operation Alaska Airlines experienced due to a computer system outage this past weekend. We recognize we fell far short of our service commitment to you and are working diligently to determine the underlying causes of the failure to prevent a recurrence.

Hopefully, you have already been assisted by one of our staff, but in the event you haven't been, we are reaching out through multiple channels to ask customers whose flights were disrupted by this event to please contact our Customer Care team so we can follow up with you. We have a team in place to respond and plan to get back to you within two weeks.

All of us at Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air appreciate your business and continued loyalty, and are committed to delivering the reliable operations you have come to expect from us.

Sincerely,

18. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I got that too (and wasn't flying --- I won't be flying again until tax day has come and gone).

A mass apology to everyone on the email list, perhaps?

19. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got it too, and my last flight was in February and my next won't be until March, so that's what I was thinking.

20. beckoa
    Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Status Points:
    March or May... :confused:

Everyone seems to have received the same email travel or none... my next flight is April.

21. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've sent my request for compesation to Customer Care. Maybe they'll give me twice what I asked for because it is so small compared to what others will feel they're entitiled to. :p

22. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think your odds are good at being satisfied. I got a mechanical that stuck me in LAS overnight. I looked at the stupid long line for getting hotel vouchers and went "naaah", grabbed a cab to a friend's, had homemade Kung Pao at 2 am and a nap, cabbed back when they brought the new plane down the next morning, and then called AS and went "so, can I get a little something for the cab, since I didn't use the room"? They bumped my $200 compensation to $300 (the cab both ways was about $80 with tip).

23. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I got the deepest apology email today from Mr. Butler at Alaska Airlines regarding the meltdown on March 26. The email contained a discount code of $300 (3x what I would have been happy with), as well as an offer to reimburse my accommodations provided I provide a receipt....which I have in my hot little hands, and will process tomorrow.

Alaska comes through again when things go awry. I have to say I was overall, very satisfied with how I saw everything handled from the counter agents in SJC to the folks on the phone.