SAS world's most punctual major airline in July

Discussion in 'SAS | EuroBonus' started by SirRagnar, Aug 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Scandinavian Airlines was the world's most punctual airline in July, with 91.48% of all flights arriving on time. For the past three years SAS has been Europe's most punctual airline in the major airlines category, which includes airlines with at least 30,000 flights a year.

SAS' Norwegian subsidiary Widerøe, which is considered a minor airline, was Europe's most punctual airline overall, with 91.5%. It was the first time two SAS Group airlines claimed the two top spots at the same time.

http://finchannel.com/news_flash/Travel_Biz_News/92459_SAS_is_the_world's_most_punctual_airline/

Jetlag, HerrO, MSPeconomist and 3 others like this.
  2. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    SAS has almost the same result at OSL (91.3%), but only ended up in 7th spot. Here are the arrival punctuality at OSL for July:

[​IMG]

3. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not too bad ratings for OSL considering how poor passenger handling is performed at that airport.

4. Bastholm
    Original Member

Bastholm Active Member

Status Points:
    Interesting - It's understandable that Thai with 5 weekly long distance flights is able to keep 100% on time, and the airlines with many weekly departures will miss a few and with short flight times isn't able to win lost time back in air...

But what is happening to Icelandair???

5. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is arrival punctuality - aircraft arriving to OSL after being handled somewhere else in the worlds. In other words, it's the start point before passenger and baggage handling at OSL does their work. No need to say, after a short stay at OSL 2.5 percentage points more of the lot are sent off on time in July (average in 87.1% and out 89.6%). The difference between arrival puctuality and departure punctuality is very good measure of how well the ground handling is working. The positive difference at OSL in July (+2.5 percentage points) is identical to the average for the whole 2010. As a comparison did CPH have 1 percentage points better departure punctuality compared with arrivals in 2010 (according to Trafikstyrelsen). Now it's for you SirRagnar to explain what you mean by "poor passenger handling".

6. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    The low Icelandair average has been like that for a while now. I suspect all their late arrival originate at one of the US airports, and it's enough that only one of flights inbound to KEF from the Americas is late and it spreads to all early flights to Europe. The average Icelandair delay inbound to OSL is 44 minutes and a punctuality of 33.3%. Departure punctuality from OSL is a bit better with 21 minutes average and 64.4% on time departures.

7. Bastholm
    Original Member

Bastholm Active Member

Status Points:
    That would explain quite a lot. But still delaying all passengers to final destinations 2 out of 3 times because of one inbound plane.... I guess it's only manageable with leisure passengers.

8. BGO-commuter
    Original Member

BGO-commuter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Big kudos to Wideroe, SAS and Norwegian for the great results.
    For Norwegian domestic on SAS however, I've noticed that the punctuality and reliability has become a bit worse the last months. They still land on schedule, but in my experience they land 10-15 minutes later than before.

If this an effort to arrive on time while minimizing cost and ensuring flexibility during boarding - great! I just hope this trend isn't a lack of focus from SAS and SGH.

9. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems like you have been unlucky with your choice of flights the last month. If you look at the average delays (reported by Avinor), the 10-15 minutes are way to large. Here are the average SAS delays for July at:
    OSL | Departures: 3 minutes delay (92.8% punctuality) | Arrivals: 3 minutes delay (91.3% punctuality)
    BGO | Departures: 2 minutes delay (94.0% punctuality) | Arrivals: 2 minutes delay (94.4% punctuality)
    TRD | Departures: 4 minutes delay (92.1% punctuality) | Arrivals: 4 minutes delay (91.9% punctuality)
    Before schedule arrivals are set to be on time (0 minutes delay) while calculating all delays, minus time does not exist.

The similar results for May this year were almost identical (OSL 3/3 minutes, BGO 3/3 minutes and TRD 3/2 minutes). The only differences I can find between May and July is the reduction of flights (OSL -29.3% and BGO -36.4%) and a sharp reduction in cancellations (OSL from 80 to 0 and BGO from 24 to 0). At OSL in July there have been periods of single runway operation due to maintenance, and may have caused a lot more flying along the fan edge for the point merger - and hence a reduction in very early arrivals.

BGO-commuter likes this.
  10. Someone
    Original Member

Someone Silver Member

Status Points:
    But too be fair, it's quite unfair to any airline to be expected to always land before schedule, unless their schedule is "wrong"

11. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let me remind you, there is also something that happens after being parked at gate. I have experienced countless times to wait in front of the baggage belt for 30, 40 and even 50 minutes until my suitcase arrive. My maximum waiting time for the baggage to arrive handled by Røros is 19 minutes. That's why I usually fly SAS out of OSL on domestic flights and the other one back to OSL.

12. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    I mean domestic connection at OSL is a nightmare. Having to collect luggage and re-check it as a normal check-in (not like in the US where at least you get to drop the bag right after customs).
    And I mean, this just based on one experience connecting non-schengen to schengen international, to go through a one-lane security check-point. They could at least have the dignity to put up 2 lanes for security so one wouldn't have to use a total of 40 minutes to clear immigration and security as it took for my last connection in OSL (LYR-OSL-CPH).

I did CPH-OSL-LYR and back last weekend and the experience I got in OSL makes me prefer CDG over OSL and that's not good. It may have been a couple of bad days for OSL, but it was no fun to waste so much time.

OY-JFS likes this.
  13. BGO-commuter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    To be clear, I'm not talking about delays. Since SAS started with a on time arrival focus I always arrived 15-20 minutes before schedule, and now I normally arrive on schedule. The fact that SAS arrives on time is the reason for me to stay with SAS, and many delays were the reason I moved much traffic to Norwegian during the "go harry"-days.

I can't complain about arriving on time... My comment is more regarding the general focus on On Time performance. As I said in my original post - if this is to ensure a cost efficient organization while still staying on time, it's great for the customers. If this is a sign of loss of focus, that's bad for everyone.

I realize that my life as a commuter ensures a different view on travel. Every minute saved during travel gives me three hours more pr. year with my friends and family. I'm happy with arriving on time, and I'm thrilled with arriving before schedule.

14. BGO-commuter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I can't agree more... I haven't had a international trip through OSL the last years due to the stress of a international-domestic connection. Last month I tried it due to OSL-Commuters comments regarding better recognition from NO-based crew, and while this is true it's not worth the extra hassle experienced in OSL.

Connecting through CPH is a much better experience in all ways... And there I get a good lounge during the wait.
    OSL is a sub-par experience for most people with a domestic connection.

OY-JFS likes this.
  15. OSL_Commuter
    Original Member

OSL_Commuter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Strange as I would prefer OSL 10 days out of 7 to CPH (despite the recent experience I had in CPH). However, I never need to do a domestic connection as you describe it. The odd exception would be if I needed to go to TRD directly on a Monday, but that happens extremely seldom.

What was your experience then with the NO based crew for the international?

16. BGO-commuter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And that's the difference. OSL as a start/end point isn't a problem. Quick and painless airport, and lounge crew is friendly. Domestic connections however are a different ballgame. And with no fast track, no lounge and all the extra queuing, OSL looses every time.

Main selling point is SGH Norge, but I also experience the crew as much friendlier and warmer. Mind you, most of my flights are via CPH. but the few international flights I've had from OSL has been great. The lounge is better, Gate Agents are MUCH better, and the in-flight service is more relaxed and friendly. These flights also gave me the first upgrade since march, blocked middle seat at boarding w/o a request from me, and great attention in flight.

In the future I'll probably book via OSL out and CPH back. Too bad Diners doesn't award EB-points for flights with a domestic connection.

17. SASDC8

SASDC8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My experience has been the opposite with regards to Røros. I never travel with the other airline because of their lousy baggage handling.

The biggest problem in OSL is as other posters here has pointed out; international to domestic transfers. OSL really need to find a rapid solution to this problem. It should not be necessary to go collect the bags, drag them upstairs and recheck them and then go threw security with all the passengers originating at OSL. Even US airports has smoother solutions for international to domestic connection.

Back to topic: great results by SK and WF!