SAS ready for expansion

Discussion in 'SAS | EuroBonus' started by tommy777, Jul 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    The new SAS boss in interview. Costs have been cut, now he's planning to expand. Any thoughts where SAS will expand?

http://www.tic.travel/news/21072011/sas-klar-til-ny-ekspansion

Silferlood, OY-JFS and uggboy like this.
  2. OY-JFS
    Original Member

OY-JFS Gold Member

Status Points:
    Poland, Baltics, UK is my best guess.

3. TOS

TOS Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't want to be the one with the negative questions, but how much have SK in reality cut costs relative to its main competitiors? The boss himself quotes a reduction of 25%, but what time scale are we looking at then? Most of SK's main competitiors have also cut costs substantially.

However, I do observe that flights in and out of Norway are packed (and difficult to get on flights even in C class), so additional frequencies might be a good thing if flexibility is a selling point.

4. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    SAS for sure has plenty of challenges in the future, but I think they are in a good enough shape to look forward.

They can't keep cutting their way out of the misery. The market is there, the money is there, they should go after it.

OY-JFS likes this.
  5. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    OSL-ORD would for sure be a great success. If it's true that SAS is out getting used widebodies, it would be a smart move before United introduces the route

OY-JFS likes this.
  6. OY-JFS
    Original Member

OY-JFS Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do agree that OSL-ORD is an obvious route to start. But from what I understand from the article, they are referring to an European expansion.

7. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe we'll see that CPH-HKG with some luck. I find it a little surprising that there is no direct flight to HKG from anywhere in Scandinavia.

OY-JFS and torbster like this.
  8. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Probably because Bangkok and Singapore are the two Star hubs in the region, while Hong Kong is dominated by Cathay/OW. I don't think there's enough market for a point to point Scandinavia-Hong Kong with good frequency.

9. haakonks

haakonks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm hoping that SAS would consider flying to the west coast of the US again...
    To bad they never started CPH-SFO... :(

OY-JFS likes this.
  10. storg

storg Silver Member

Status Points:
    One thing to consider is that SAS can cut cost by expanding. They will have lower overhead now than before, it can make it easier to optimise the use of crew and aircrafts.