SAS IPhone / Android App status?

Discussion in 'SAS | EuroBonus' started by A340GOT, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SAS was in the launch of an iPhone ( & android ?) app late last year. Anyone know what is the latest status, on Facebook SK just keep telling it is coming but apparently there is things holding this up? Anyone heard anything new?
    By the way CPH has an excellent app with great info. Arlanda just launched their app, not up to CPH in my opinion but still decent.

2. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to their facebook support team it was initially rejected by the Apple reviewers so they had to re-write parts of it.
    Let's hope they focus on the non-censored Android market in the meantime. It was originally due after the release of the Apple app.

3. SpotOn

SpotOn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did they give any information on the timing for the next attempt at getting it approved?

4. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sadly not. This is a reply to someone who asked about the app on their facebook wall:

(Freely translated: Hi Mathias. We had some technical challenges, so it [the app] is a bit delayed. We will report as soon as it is ready. Hang in. Best regards Christian)

5. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    Christian (CK) tweeted this morning that he was stuck in one the revolving doors of the OSL - no SAS app today [​IMG]

LN-MOW likes this.
  6. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hehe, I doubt that he is programming it, but otherwise I am fairly certain you are right that it will not come out today :)

7. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are right about that SirRagnar, he's more familiar with large spreadsheets and beans - at least that's what he says [​IMG]

8. Robbiedeluxe
    Original Member

Robbiedeluxe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very OT, but I believe CK was on ARN-OSL today and from what I saw, he's an iPhone and not an Android user. Maybe that explains why iPhone > Android...

9. LN-MOW
    Original Member

LN-MOW Silver Member

Status Points:
    CK has an iPhone, that is correct. However this is also a number game and the iPhone market is considerably bigger than Android. Google are also havng some issues with their current Android version which leaves many apps partly or completly useless, and until they can get this corrected, the market won't spend more resources on development than they absolutely have to.

10. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Considerable can definitely be argued. From the latest market survey in the US Android is bigger than iPhone (28,7% vs 25,0%):
    http://comscore.com/Press_Events/Pr...mber_2010_U.S._Mobile_Subscriber_Market_Share

I know it's the US market, but I haven't found this precise numbers for a Scandinavian market, however this article also claim Android is more widespread:
    http://www.mobilgo.dk/android-er-verdens-største.html

(English translation: http://translate.google.com/transla...bilgo.dk/android-er-verdens-st%C3%B8rste.html)

11. LN-MOW
    Original Member

LN-MOW Silver Member

Status Points:
    Marketshare for OS and app downloads aren't necessarily comparable and we have seen that our iPhone-app is significantly more popular than our Android-app. The iPhone users seem to be a lot more active on the app-market.

12. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I don't doubt that.

I wonder if that could perhaps be because developers tend to focus more on the iPhone market than the Android market?
    I don't remember when I saw an app come out first to Android at least.

13. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    You all have to remember there are two main markets for mobile phones - the regular consumer market and the more security conscious business market. In addition to that there are also large geographical differences. Since most of us are Scandinavians here in this EuroBonus section, Nokia and Sony Ericsson have a higher market share in our area than elsewhere in the worlds. For Norway the Q3 2010 sales of advanced business smart phones showed the following operating system market shares (almost 20% of the total market):
    Symbian 36.6%
    Android 25.5%
    Apple iOS 16.7%
    RIM 14.8%
    Windows Phone 7 2.8%

And if you count all the different producers, the total market shares were:
    Nokia 28.2%
    Samsung 17.2%
    LG 6.6%
    Apple 3.2%
    RIM 2.9%
    Sony Ericsson 2.5%

If you are out to catch passengers in the Scandinavian market and certainly if you want the best paying passengers, you definitely can't exclude Symbian/Nokia phones. Within our company we concluded to widen our horizon for approved smart phones and operating system from Nokia and Symbian only. It's no secret that Symbian security wise won hands down again, but we will also for the first time include iOS and the iPhone 4. Regarding the Androids I tend to agree with Cisco security expert Jamey Heary "Enterprises are requiring that any smart phone that hold company data must be encrypted" - Androids don't have that. It is no secret that our list of approved smart phones the next six months in addition the iPhone 4 also contains Nokia E5 and Nokia E7.

Gnopps and SirRagnar like this.
  14. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    So iPhone and Symbian are encrypted, but Android phone are not?

I must be honest and say I never considered that for my department, but I would definitely consider this for future phone purchases. We have a good mix of iPhone, Nokia and HTC - I have let people get the phone they wished for pretty much.

P.S. Out of curiosity, when you say 'we' is that SK or Wideroe - or something completely else?

15. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    SirRagnar, the company I work for has a clinical department (I think you're familiar with that), so it's neither SAS or Widerøe. I'm heading a different department - the IT department - and is responsible for an information network stretching over 13 time zones with locations both to the north and to the south of equator.

A bit more professional information, again from Cisco, about Androids and their security problems
    In other words, I would have chucked away the HTCs. If they aren't Androids, I bet they are MS Worse Phone 6.5 or 7 and typically after a short time use get awfully slow. And if you guessed we don't use Exchange, you're absolutely right SirRagnar.

16. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aha, yes I am familiar with a clinical department, I am the head of one :)

Thanks for the valuable information - I'll discuss this with the head of IT at my company, who is like me also an apple-hater [​IMG]

17. Gnopps
    Original Member

Gnopps Silver Member

Status Points:
    I switched from Symbian to Android but agree with Merlin that Symbian can not be disregarded (at present at least) when it comes to the business market. In HEL & ARN you see tons of symbian phones on the business travellers.

18. Christian Hansen Kamhaug
    Original Member

Christian Hansen Kamhaug Official Representative

Status Points:
    Interesting discussion. Robbiedeluxe, next time you see me on a STO-OSL-flight, say Hi...
    Good news guys - the Beta-version has been approved, and we'll start distributing it soon, hopefully within the week, to the 150+ who signed-up last year. Whether or not there'll be an Android-version depends a bit on the success if the iPhone app, and what learning-points will come from that. Also, we've heard that other companies have had som serious issues with their Android-apps

TuomasEBG, OY-JFS, GVA380 and 2 others like this.
  19. GVA380
    Original Member

GVA380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully the issues can be resolved - I do hope there will be an Android app. in the pipeline in a not so distant future... :)

20. Christian Hansen Kamhaug
    Original Member

Christian Hansen Kamhaug Official Representative

Status Points:
    Still don't have a due-date for the iPhone app (some new technical problems popped up regarding check-in... hmp), but we have launched another app - the SAS Crew Guide app for iPhone and Android. Read more and download it at www.flysas.com/crewguide

21. jetsetter
    Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just installed the SAS Crew Guide. Looks pretty neat :) Tusen Takk :)

As for iPhone app, currently using Widerøe's iPhone app and it works fine for my purposes. I am just waiting till they give me the possibility to save the boarding card to my phone.

22. LN-MOW
    Original Member

LN-MOW Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's in the works. Hopefully in the next release.

23. SpotOn

SpotOn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are there any news on the status of the app...?

24. Robbiedeluxe
    Original Member

Robbiedeluxe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm tempted to develop my own app based on my own needs using SK's existing mobile site (https://ci.sas.mobi).

You know what they say, if you want to have something done right, you have to do it yourself...

BGO-commuter and SirRagnar like this.
  25. LN-MOW
    Original Member

LN-MOW Silver Member

Status Points:
    No need - just use ours .. (Widerøe) ;)