SAS going the extra mile

Discussion in 'SAS | EuroBonus' started by BGO-commuter, Jun 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

  1. BGO-commuter
    Original Member

    BGO-commuter Silver Member

    Likes Received:
    Status Points:
    In between all the complaining about bad mileage accrual, plastic on the c-meal and bad in-flight entertainment, Merlin got me thinking about the special experiences where SAS really goes the extra mile... (you should read his post here).

    Have you ever experienced special service from SAS in a difficult situation?

    My experience was when my grandmother suddenly was days from passing on. Living in a different country, and this being before the time of LCC's, a last minute trip would be difficult with full flights and a family with limited disposable income.

    We went directly to the airport (yes, this was long before Internet), and checked for tickets on the first flight to AMS. The agent asked why we were in such a hurry, and after some explanation she dedicated all her time to find us a flight to Netherlands. Since all flights were 100% full, the only ticket option was a full fare flight that cost almost the same as a month income. This was obviously not an option, so we were ready to leave the airport.

    Thankfully, the agent managed to book us on a cheap Y-ticket and called the gate to ask for volunteers to stay for the next flight. Two people agreed, and my mother and sister reached Holland to say goodbye before my grandmother left this earth. Me and my father left the next day on the same cheap tickets.

    Without this service my mother wouldn't have reached Holland in time, and this was really going the extra mile.

    Anyone else with a similar experience?
    AndersFT, Merlin, OY-JFS and 4 others like this.
  2. Merlin
    Original Member

    Merlin Gold Member

    Likes Received:
    Status Points:
    Seems like nobody else has experienced SAS going the extra mile for them. I can tell you a story of me going the extra mile for SAS though, or more correct many miles. I was heading from FBU to EWR for one of many two week work stint in New Jersey. My first meeting appointment was Monday (22 June 1998) morning at nine, and logically my flight over was on the day before. One day before departure, Saturday morning the Norwegian airspace was closed due to an ATC strike. Since this was almost 13 years ago, the information flow was exactly like these days. After waiting hours and hours on the phone, I finally got through to SAS. The gentleman on the other end told me the flight will depart on time the next day ... from Landvetter (GOT). I didn't connect the two parts right away, but then the next question was logical: "And when do we depart from Oslo-Fornebu?" The gentleman again answered around eleven. I though: Departure at eleven from GOT and from Oslo-Fornebu at the same time, that's not right. It was more than 200 miles between these two places. And then the gentleman from SAS added after a short break "... this evening". Five in the afternoon and eleven in the evening - that's six hours. I had not even started packing, some shirts I had planned to take with me was still in the washing machine and one of the six hours I had to spend in a taxi.

    I managed to arrive FBU 40 minutes before "departure time". My light suitcase I managed to check in in no time even though it was a completed chaos at the airport (traveling in C must give some benefits). A few minutes after midnight we were ready for an over 200 mile long bus drive. The buses SAS had managed to scrape together seems to be leftovers from eastern Norway and the southwest of Sweden. The bus we got was an old tired Swedish school bus with no adjustable seats and only space for half your knees. The next four hours in this packed full bus was the most uncomfortable night I had ever experienced. We arrived at GOT some few minutes after 4:30 in the morning, and the airport wouldn't open their doors until almost an hour later. We were finally allowed to enter the building and my only concern then was to occupy one of the couches at the SAS lounge. Every second hour one of lounge crew brought me something to drink and gave me an update on the departure time. We pushed a bit over three hours late. Since we had to fly a more southern route (to avoid Norwegian airspace), the arrival at Newark was around three and a half hour late. Most of the trip over the pond I tried to catch up with the sleep. At Newark I answered correct on all three questions and was let in to the country. A bit over one and half hours after having been let off the plane I parked my leased Oldsmobile Intrigue at the parking lot outside the hotel in Tenafly. Also at the hotel the check in went like a breeze. The lady behind the desk said: Mr. Merlin, you are bit late. I bet it's because of the ATC strike in Norway, isn't it? I have reserved your favorite room for you, is that OK? Here you have the keys sir.

    The meeting the next day went fine, and in the afternoon I drove to the Garden State Plaza Mall to get some shits and other stuff at Nordstrom since I packed light. On the way back I stopped at my favorite Japanese restaurant on Route 4 to get something to eat. The next day was also eventful - meetings all day long with one welcomed break in one of meetings. Our US poultry manager at that time did burst in to one of the meetings to tell us: Norway has beaten Brazil 2 to 1 in the foot world championship. The dinner that evening for the guys and girls was on me - in a Brazilian restaurant and it tasted superb ... like victory.

Share This Page