(SAS) Experiences with Optiontown upgrades to EWR/ORD?

Discussion in 'SAS | EuroBonus' started by torbster, Apr 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got a new e-ticket from SAS where I'm upgraded to eco+ on my flight over to the US & A in 3 days. Was really hoping for business-class on atleast the flight out, as it seems there are free seats available still:
    ..unless of course OT upgrades only goes into Z, in which case I'm left with the chance of an op-up (never happens :rolleyes:), and my hard earned points :p

I checked both the eco+ and biz options on optiontown, what do you think my chances are for still getting business on this one? or is the upgrade usually final once you get it?

What about optiontown business-upgrades in general on flights to/from the US, have any of you been successful?

2. joemume
    Original Member

joemume Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have never received two consecutive upgrades from Optiontown - once they have decided on the flight class, that's final. But, you could still do a "by points" upgrade at check in, although the earning class would still be Y,B,S.

My track record with Optiontown isn't complete, but still, after 10 signups or so, the pattern is consistent - when upgraded, the upgraded class remains consistent until takeoff.

torbster likes this.
  3. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! Then I won't get my hopes up. If I'm still in B when I get to the gate - I'll probably try to do the upgrade to C for 20k points. After all, one way in B - given that the double points campaign works for me - I should earn about 17k points on this leg.. so aaalmost even-steven :)

4. Someone
    Original Member

Someone Silver Member

Status Points:
    The way I've understood it they do go into Z. So no Z, no upgrade by OT

5. joemume
    Original Member

joemume Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that is correct, but does it mean that regular Z -class tickets needs to be available in the booking system, or can they use any C,D,J,Z-class ticket and book it as Z? This is all a blur to me, but the discounted Z-class tickets are rarely available that close to departure, are they?
    I'm not, by any means, an expert on the booking procedures, hence the perhaps ignorant question.... :)

6. Someone
    Original Member

Someone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Who knows....the exact rules for OT is unknown. However, just saw an OT upgrade for one on FT got cleared, and on that flight Z = 0, so it seems like you can get upgraded even though Z = 0

7. clarkthejames

clarkthejames New Member

Status Points:
    I haven’t got outstanding experience with Optiontown yet. Though out of 3 signups with optiontown I got 2 upgrades only on SAS flight, I hope optiontown will be improve its service in future.

8. HenrikP

HenrikP Active Member

Status Points:
    I have tried upgrading through Optiontown about 10 times or so. My success-rate is about 70%. It has been claimed on some other forums that upgrades only go through if SAS has oversold seats in eco or eco+. At least the theory fits my upgrade history.