SAS Cabin Baggage Allowance

Discussion in 'SAS | EuroBonus' started by swdke, Mar 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I am on an upcoming flight from ORD-CPH, and am curious about the cabin baggage limit. From the SAS website, it states that you're only permitted a relatively small bag, weighing no more than 8k, or about 17 pounds. For connecting passengers, where exactly, at ORD, would SAS check your carryon/cabin baggage to make sure you're not over the limit? Would it be a the gate, and do they actually check? I am connecting via ORD from DAY to CPH. I plan to just carry a backpack, not a large one, just one of book bag size. I plan to fill with some gifts for friends at CPH and not yet sure how heavy my bag will end up being. It could be less than 8k/17lbs, or it might even be more. I am just concerned that if it is more, will anyone actually check?

Also, I plan to buy at the ORD Duty Free shop in Terminal 5, more requested gifts from my Danish friends. So, if I have a bag from Duty Free, and my backpack, that's actually 2 bags, so is SAS going to give me an issue on this? What's the deal?

Thanks!

2. SK2868
    Original Member

SK2868 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have never experienced SAS checking my carry-on. So I think you should be fine... I don't belive that they concider duty free bags as carry-on items, as I sometimes have 3-4 of them as well as my backpack... But somebody else could probably verify this more correctly than me. :)

3. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very unlikely. It would be done at the gate if you are transferring, but I have never in my many many flights with SAS seen them check carry-ons.
    And as SK2868 points out duty-free bags should be no problem, I have also often carried a bunch of them in addition to my carry-on and I carry the one below and the bag itself is almost 3kg so I have often carried some 10-12kg on-board in that.:
    [​IMG]

4. OSL_Commuter
    Original Member

OSL_Commuter Silver Member

Status Points:
    It has never happened to me on SAS, but it has happened with KLM. Another reason to avoid that Airline.

5. AndersFT
    Original Member

AndersFT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I travel like four flights a week and mostly I bring both a carry on bag and a backpack with my laptop (like most business travellers). I have never been told to check the weight and I guess as long as you can put it in the overhead compartment by your self there will be no problem.

6. Robbiedeluxe
    Original Member

Robbiedeluxe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never, ever, experienced SK enforcing any kind of cabin baggage allowance limitations by the gate. I have, however, experience cabin crews complaining about the lack of strict enforcement.

7. Someone
    Original Member

Someone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same, and have also experienced spanding too much time in the lounge and finding absolutele no space for my Travel Pro when I arrived, thus having it sent in the cargo hold :(