Sapphire Preferred vs. Shredder

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Casey Friday, May 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    I canceled my Sapphire Preferred to get the two SWRR cards, but I've kept the card itself for a long while now because I enjoy how it feels. I don't know what sort of metal they injected into that card, but it sure makes it resilient!

Yesterday I was cleaning out some of my unnecessary miles|points cards (HHonors Blue? psssh, I'm Gold now!), and I decided it was time to part with one of my favorite cards that brought me about 61k points.

I had a heck of a time trying to cut one with scissors a few months ago when I got a new card number, so I thought it would be fun to see how well the shredder did with this card. Here are the results (don't worry, the shredder is still alive):

[​IMG]

2. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    That seems like the definition of cruel and unusual punishment!

Len Williams likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I heard of someone destroying a card by taking it to a shooting range.

gleff, zshanlon, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
  4. Len Williams
    Original Member

Len Williams Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great idea! I'm going to try that this weekend.

LETTERBOY and yaychemistry like this.
  5. apgrizzwald

apgrizzwald Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can call Chase regarding the indestructible Sapphire. They will send a pre-paid fedex envelope so you can return the card to them and they will destroy. (For those of us who don't have too many creative options).

6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you aware that some folks consider credit cards (like many other forms of currency) collectible objects? Unusual designs, low mintages, and mint condition can make them more valuable to collectors in the future. Officially the issuing banks claim ownership of their cards while the accounts are open and for (5~10) more years. After then, they can be treated like any other collectible objects.

MissBurrill likes this.
  7. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's crazy! Sounds like hoarding to me!

LETTERBOY and hulagrrl210 like this.
  8. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Crazy" as in "different from your interests", i.e. playing with the shredder? :D

9. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    The FT thread on this subject is quite entertaining. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1249415-sapphire-versus-shredder.html. Highlights:

10. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm really glad you mentioned this...now I know I'm not the only one. What the heck am I going to do with all these things, aside from stack them on top of my used hotel keys and gift cards? Even that is difficult with the raised characters!

11. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should read up on the hobby. If you find it of interest, you can trade your duplicates with other collectors or sell them on eBay or at conventions.
    There used to be an active collector society, but I see that their website has not been updated in awhile: http://www.creditcollectibles.com/
    Someday I should spend a little quality time with Google to see what's currently happening with that hobby.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sadly, my Sapphire isn't in mint condition. I use it all the time. I guess when it comes time to close the account (not planned any time soon) I should call and ask for a replacement card first.

Casey Friday likes this.
  13. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, to save up some duplicates in mint condition, you can add "authorized users" and ask for replacement cards. For most personal accounts (except AmEx), adding authorized users is a simple online procedure.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I should probably also stop writing "CANCELED" on them with a big black sharpie when I am done with them.