Sao Paulo schedule announced

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Wandering Aramean, Dec 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    US has released their planned schedule for operations to GRU thanks to the DL slot swap deal.
    Code:
    Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) – Sao Paulo-Guarulhos International Airport (GRU)
    Flight Departure Arrival
    802 5:50 p.m. 4:30 a.m.+1

Sao Paulo-Guarulhos International Airport (GRU) – Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
    Flight Departure Arrival
    803 8:25 a.m. 5:25 p.m.
    US will join TAM and AA as carriers running a daytime flight between the USA and Brazil. The timing on the US flights sucks pretty badly but I'm sure it has to do with aircraft utilization and when they can actually get in to GRU with their slots. The 4:30am arrival in GRU is particularly ugly.

2. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder what equipment they are are using for this service and where it is coming from.

jbcarioca, aptraveler and DeacFlyer1 like this.
  3. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:

My question too. I didn't think US had any spare widebodies lying around during the summer season, when this service is starting.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Forgot to include the equipment details...sorry. It is a 762. From the timing it looks like they can get away with using two planes to do a Europe turn and the GRU turn in a 48 hour window. That said, I cannot find another Europe turn where the timing works.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, just to clarify, when you say you "cannot find another Europe turn" that works, does that mean you've found one that does, but no other ones? Or you haven't found any, despite it being theoretically possible?

Unrelated, the resumption of the A332 delivery's next year can't happen soon enough...

jbcarioca and Sean Colahan like this.
  6. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe US is relying on an A330 delivery to send to Europe and to use a B767 for the Brazil flight. Anyone know when they take their first new heavy in 2013?

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    GIG is getting an A330, right? so the 767 moves from GIG to GRU and a new A330 for GIG.

Excited about the new service. Hopefully they move GRU to a 330 as well once the traffic builds up. GIG like timing would work better if they can get it.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    GIG already has the A330. GRU should take less time for them to build traffic than did GIG, which was pretty empty and cheap for the first year (RT business $2995 was a number I well remember) because nobody had ever heard of US. The GRU US flights are mostly packed so I'd bet US will upguage GRU just as soon as they can. This will be US' second flight to South America, BTW.

Following the AA/US merger, if it happens, I'd wager more destinations for CLT. AA is making out very, very well with numerous frequencies to MIA. DFW and JFK from both GRU and GIG plus BSB, MAO and other cities too. When JJ joins OW, as most think it will, there is even more in prospect for CLT. Question: OW will have well above 50% market share in US/Brazil with MIA and JFK, the two most important destinations for Brazilians, almost a complete lock. What happens then? This half-year old report describes some of the factors involved:
    http://centreforaviation.com/analys...as-other-markets-show-signs-of-weakness-76407

Dreamworks likes this.
  9. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't found the link yet, but I seem to remember it being Q4, unfortunately.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    They probably would put it to their highest yields are, and that s Brazil. That is why AA deploys it's first B777-300 on DFW-GRU followed by LHR

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The latter.

Only saw one CLT-Europe 767 in April and the times didn't match. I may have missed something though.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    While Brazil is definitely a high yielding market it may not immediately be for US, at least until they build up their operation. Of course, putting the better product on the route increases the chances of that actually working in the long run.

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's frustrating because the hard product is so completely different between the Boeings and the A330. I don't know of another US Airline that has one "good" widebody in terms of seats/IFE/etc, and the rest of the fleet is meh.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Their single SA flight today, CLT-GIG, is said to be the highest yield flight in the system. Because there is so much GRU demand it is not a stretch to think they'll do well quickly. Remember that US has little high yield Europe traffic, and even low Yield Brazil traffic is better than the Europe US has.

I do not disagree with you, but do think it will build quickly for US. They ought to be using the 330 on GRU because so much premium traffic is always there. Where else, other than ME is there a lot of Premium tourist traffic. People by FC for ten- year-olds here.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  15. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect that when they start to take delivery of more A330's in 2013 (does anyone know how many they are to get and if they are the 200 or 300?) that they will replace the CLT-GIG B762 with an A330. Just my thought.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    They just might do that. In fact they already did!
    800 [​IMG]
    10:35 PM CLT
    11:10 AM GIG
    9h35m
    Dinner
    A330-200

JetsettingEric and Sean Colahan like this.
  17. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm frikin' Rain Man!

JetsettingEric and jbcarioca like this.
  18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That you are! All you need to do is count the cards!

Raymond

Sean Colahan likes this.
  19. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't find the specific month-by-month timeframe, but there are 8 remaining aircraft to be delivered, and all of them are -200's. I've seen multiple places state that five will be delivered in 2013, and the remaining three in 2014. I seem to recall that the deliveries would resume in Q4 of 2013, but I read that a while (like a year) ago, and can't find that cited anywhere right now.

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are are curious to know where they'll deploy these. I'd bet on some surprises, especially of the merger goes through.

Sean Colahan likes this.