Sao Paolo: the new Terminal 3 experience

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Garp74, Jul 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flying back home tonight from Brazil, where Star Alliance carriers have moved into the new Terminal 3. Some thoughts.

The good:

- You don't have to be scared to go to the bathroom anymore. (Terminal 1's bathrooms were so bad, you weren't supposed to flush the toilet paper. You threw it in a bin next to the toilet. It smelled awful.)

- Everything's new, so for now, it's clean.

- You don't have to wait behind a wall that may, or may not, open to get to your gate - the Terminal 1 closing and opening walls are gone.

The Neutral:

- The lounge is now a single lounge: all Star Alliance shares a single 300 person lounge. It has nice aesthetics and comfortable furniture. It does not have enough power.

- Terminal 3 is a soulless glass airport that looks no different than every other modern airport. I'm happy it's open and I'm happy to use it every trip. But to me, it has no character.

- The food choices are numerous, but it's Carls' Jr., Pizza Hut, Starbucks, etc. Nothing interesting (that I found).

The bad:

- They still can't get the WiFi situation right. United doesn't run its own access points anymore, thankfully, so you rely on "GRU WiFi" via Boingo. But at prime time (evenings) for departures, it's overloaded and constantly kicked me off. Just like the old WiFi.

- They put "blind people" access strips all over the floors. They're about 1.5 to 2 inches high. They're so easy to trip on. The FA on the way over was very unhappy with them, and I see why. ("Screw you, blind people! Get out of my airport!" *laugh*)

Anyway, it's all a huge improvement over Terminal 1. Yay for futbol!

Newscience, uggboy, meFIRST and 2 others like this.
  2. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    But at least it no longer looks like Terminal 1, which has plenty of character but not in a good way! :)

Garp74 likes this.
  4. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Solid point BOSman!

5. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rascals was pretty good in T3. It is before security though not airside. Real food at a sit down place.

Garp74 likes this.
  6. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now if only GIG could see some improvement.

Garp74 and ballardFlyer like this.
  7. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I was there in June with large areas still cordoned off as in finishing. The lounge wifi was literally unusable. It was better to use the terminal wifi.

During my previous GRU layover the week before, I checked the Star T3 lounge out and then walked the 12 mins down the deserted corridors and security screens to T2, where the AAdmiral's Clubo is much better in every way. Better amenities, fewer people etc. On my return I didn't have enough time for this substantial hike.