Sanur Beach, Bali

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by cooloffyou, Aug 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. cooloffyou

cooloffyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey...I'm traveling to Bali next month and interested in staying in the Sanur Beach area. Looking for info on the area. I'm thinking about spending a few nights in a villa near the beach and would like to be near places that have local cuisine and places where I can interact with locals and not just tourists. Any tips or info about this area or about Bali in general, would be really appreciated.

uggboy likes this.
  2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME the only locals you are likely to interact with are the ones working in the hotel/guesthouse or maybe serving you in some local restaurants :(
    Bali is more and more crowded and oriented to tourists. This is pretty evident from the number of extremely expensive condos/villas there, but if you see the locals most have almost nothing and certainly cannot afford any of these.
    Years ago I staying in Ubud and took local buses (bemos) to small villages to see mask makers in their home/studio, but on my most recent trip (not to Ubud) I was shocked at the proliferation of tourist trap stores, foreign chain restaurants, etc.
    Others may be able to give more direct info in regard to your question.

3. cooloffyou

cooloffyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info estnet. Since my plans are already set, I will embrace whatever experience I have in Bali. Lots of people on other travel forums seem to not have nice things to say of Bali as well, but I will just venture out and see for myself.