Santiago Chile Travel Guide

Discussion in 'Central/South America' started by EXECUTIVE TRAVEL, Nov 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Once merely a gateway for tourists bound to Patagonia or other hotspots in Chile, Santiago has emerged in recent years as a globally relevant, vibrant destination in its own right for both leisure and business travel. With its impressive and growing arts and music scene, burgeoning fine-dining options and ample selection of quality hotels, Santiago is drawing attention for reasons other than its well-deserved reputation over the past two decades as one of South America’s best places to conduct business.

2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    The link doesn't go to a Santiago article.

iolaire likes this.
  3. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I found Santiago to be pretty lame compared to many others cities in South America.

4. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Santiago's rough from a tourism perspective because it doesn't show much on the outside - it's not a city where you walk down the streets and get wowed by the architecture or design, and the Santiaguinos can seem like New Yorker stereotypes at times. But given a few days of adventuring around the city and most people find that it's actually quite interesting and has a lot to offer.

5. Road Humps

Road Humps Member

Status Points:
    I agree with this, although it helps that there is a lot to do just outside SCL (Vina del Mar, Valparaiso, wineries, ski resorts, etc.).

It's not an immediately charming place, but it does have its charms. I am grateful to have discovered Carménère on a visit there last year. Now one of my favorite reds.

zpaul likes this.