Sanity check on miles redemption

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by mikesteg, Jan 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mikesteg

mikesteg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know this should be straightforward, but neither google nor southwest is giving up the answer clearly.

If I book a flight with points and then there is a fare drop, can I simply "change flight" as I'd do with a cash ticket and get the points redeposited? If so, does SW tag those specific miles with an expiration 1 year from the original purchase? Or are those points then associated to the name on the original ticket? In other words, do they get stuck with the same limitations as a (cash) price drop voucher?

I am looking to book the return leg from HOU to ABQ after a cruise in May. It seems pretty likely that the fares will drop, but there is only one good option (nonstop and good timing) so I'd like to get the tickets now if there is no downside.

Another possibilty is that a cheap fare would pop up on one of the other carriers, in which case could I cancel the tickets and get the points back w/o them being tagged somehow?

I'm only looking to book the return leg right now. I have flexibility on the outgoing side since we're going to go a couple day a early to visit family.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, if the fare drops, simply cancel the original booking and rebook the new one at the lower rate. I don't believe they have the same limitations as a price drop voucher.

I've cancelled an award booking before and the points immediately went back into my account with all of my other points, without distinguishing them as "tagged" to only be used by the original traveler.

3. mikesteg

mikesteg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you!

rharrigill likes this.