San Juan SJU Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport - Hotel (used to be a Best Western)

Discussion in 'Other North America/non U.S.' started by Sweet Willie, Dec 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

In my travels to Puerto Rico, I've always wanted to try a stay at the airport hotel (located between C & D terminals), I got my chance this past weekend.

The property used to be a Best Western, in fact some cabbies & shuttle drivers still know it as the Best Western.

We paid just over $100 for a AAA rate.

The bed was supposed to be queen sized but Mrs Sweet Willie & I are pretty sure that it was only a full sized mattress. I don't think the property offers two twin beds option (but am not sure on this).

The Pros are:
    Location is amazing, to be able to stroll right into the terminal is terrific. In fact we actually checked in 4+ hours before our flight, dropped off our checked bags (remember all checked bags must go through the USDA Ag screening BEFORE one checks in), then walked back to the hotel to take advantage of the second pro,
    a sundeck w/two hottubs, 6 chaise lounge chairs, plus a couple tables/chairs.
    Room was very quiet (we were in room that did not face the runways but then there isn't that much in terms of night flights at SJU anyways), linens were cheap but clean.
    Free continental breakfast consisting of: cereal, rolls, waffles, nutella, bagels, muffins, juice, coffee.

The Cons are: tiny mattress, carpet is a bit dingy, no late checkout (noon is checkout),

We had spent some time outside of San Juan and thus had a rental car. So we parked at the airport garage ($2 for an hour), freshened up in the room, then went into San Juan for a night out on the town. we then returned the car and took rental car shuttle to the hotel for the night. Worked perfectly for our needs.

If one doesn't have a rental car, I'd suggest hanging around the taxi line & when you hear someone going into Old San Juan or the Isla Verde area, ask if you can share the ride/cost. Most folks are glad to share and one keeps their taxi costs down.

Bottom line: if one is arriving late into SJU & has an early morning flight or is picking up a rental car in the morning, I'd stay at this hotel again. Otherwise the Isla Verde area is so close to the airport that I'd choose to stay there.
    uggboy and sobore like this.