San Diego

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by terrancetoner, Mar 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. terrancetoner

terrancetoner New Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know of a reasonably priced hotel on the beach in San Diego where I can take my wife for the weekend?

2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    It all depends on your definition of "Reasonably Priced". Most hotels on the beach will be about 50-60% higher than those away from the beach. If you are looking for a Resort type Hotel, the Del Coronado is 'reasonable' but not inexpensive. We lately have taken to staying at the Lafayette Hotel. While about 6-7 miles from the beach, it has a certain 'class' to it, and with some of the renovations that have been done lately, it is a nice place to stay.

Kalboz, wrxmom and uggboy like this.
  3. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    There aren't that many hotels on the beaches, and it depends on what beach you want to go to. Are you looking for something on Pacific/Mission Beach, La Jolla Shores, or up in North County closer to Encinitas/Carlsbad? Decisions, decisions. ;)

Kalboz, uggboy, wrxmom and 1 other person like this.
  4. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz, uggboy and Mapsmith like this.
  5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mapsmith and uggboy like this.
  6. Kelly Pole

Kelly Pole New Member

Status Points:
    Lot many options

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  7. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'll get more value from your money if you head to North County; Oceanside might be the least expensive.

MX, Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    You know that if you get the Citibank HHonors Reserve card you will earn 2 weekend night certificates each good for 1 weekend night (standard room, double occupancy) after $2,500 in eligible purchases within the first 4 months of card membership. Hilton has many good properties in the San Diego area such as the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa which is a beachfront property. Alternatively, Homewood Suites SAN-Liberty Station is a great property to spend a relaxing weekend, albeit it does not have a sandy beach.
    [​IMG]
    Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa near seaworld

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  9. Goldlust

Goldlust Active Member

Status Points:
    I liked the Motel6 in El Cajon. You certainly cannot beat the price there ... Though in all honesty maybe my "liking" it so much was more to do with me just having survived a huge blizzard driving in Julian.

If I have to be more serious (though I stand by the Motel 6 in El Cajon), I would say the Sheraton Mission Valley San Diego Hotel was nice and pretty cheap. It is just a cross the free way from a huge shopping mall with some nice outlet stores too. Though I did have to try several times before I could get into the right lane taking the bridge across the free way.

For a little extra, I would say Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina is even nicer.

Kalboz likes this.
  10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Funny that you mention Motel 6 in El Cajon, I have stayed there many times back in 1994 for the unbeatable price of $35/night ... but it is at least 30-minutes freeway drive from the nearest sandy beach! :)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    Goldlust likes this.
  11. Goldlust

Goldlust Active Member

Status Points:
    I stayed there, because my dad had provided me with some newspaper articles he had written about Leonard Knight. At the Salvation Mountain a guy told me the room number and address of the long term care facility of Mr. Knight in El Cajon. Lacking my usual spymaster skills a sentry stopped me at the reception before I could enter the hallway and bring them to him. I left them with instructions for the receptionist to bring to him.

Kalboz likes this.